Yamaha BW80

Kafike

Does anybody here know about these bikes? I found one here in Albuquerque on craigslist for $750, it looks like an '86 or so. Was looking for a four wheeler or something for my boys (6 and 8) for Christmas. Looks like a pretty cool bike.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/4129997491.html

Was wondering if the price was good for the bike since they seem to be kind of rare. If i look into it, I will prolly offer $600. If I grabbed it I would have to finally get myself a Yamaha TW200 to ride with them.

looks like it might be the predecessor to the Yamaha PW series if it is then it has a oil injection system for the oil fuel mix as its a 2 stroke. i would look into the specs of the bike like seat height base weight and see if there are any records of the speed of the bike if its anything like the PW series it should have a screw to limit the throttle

A lot of parts actually interchange between the PW80 and BW80. The motors are the same but the output shafts are different. Been doing some research. Pretty cool bike and I like the throttle limiter screw. I have a 1/2 acre of desert so the kids could ride in the yard until they get used to it...and I get my '79 Honda XR500 rebuilt or buy a Yamaha TW200. My wife even said it would be OK as long as I use my stash to buy it :D .

My bud had a bike like that, and we used to ride it all them time when we were wee lads. It can go through so much mud and still keep going. Top speed was lacking, safe for kids I guess. But we weren't kids, we were animals.

I have no technical input other than I was alive and riding dirtbikes when they came out. Great all around camp bikes that would slog through anything, even if the rider had to wade along side (don't ask me how I know). It would be a great little item to strap on the back of the pathy. My only real concern is the age and part availibility. I pretty much guarentee all the rubber bits are crumbling, and if not they will once it gets used...

B

funny how they put rare. those were not rare at all. i knew several folks who had those growing up. and honda fat cats.

a ysr yamaha 50 was made longer and i never knew anyone with one or ever seen one except on internet. must of been more popular overseas.

but those bw50s are fun and the fat cats.

I'd say they are rare as I haven't seen any in years and they only had a short run. Turns out the guy selling the bike is a friend of a friend and really takes care of his stuff and is supposedly a really good guy. Maybe i can get a better deal then. Still debating. As Thorpe said the kids would prolly fight over it to go riding. Wish I could get two bikes or four wheelers but the govt shutdown hit me hard (military technician). Finaly get a real paycheck again. Have some friends that have to move, unfortunately, and may be able to buy their two small dirt bikes. The BW80 seems really cool though :headwall:

if you end up geting the bike cheak this site out its were i got all the parts that i broke if the local bike shop didnt have them and its were i get my gear at

: http://www.chaparral-racing.com/oem-parts-model/YAM/BIG%20WHEEL%20-%20BW80S%20-%201986/5enemWbnDqJQ7-OOJatE2g2

thats also the part look up for the 86 bw 80

Edited by thorpe991

I'm still thinking about it. If I get the other bikes from my buddy I may still buy this one...for the wife. And so I can play with it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I love the big wheels. Still haven't made up my mind. Wanted to go look at it this past weekend but ran out of time. Hosted a Locks of Love event for my buddies daughter (leukemia). May just buy the bike and the other ones. Let the wifey ride the BW80 and the kids on the others.