89 pathy questions

b1ndm4n

So Im having some engine problems on my 3.0 L 89 pathy that I am dumbfounded by... one day I'm driving to my bank, turn off my pathy, get rent money and it won't start... I got it towed to a parking lot and the next day I go to check it outward it fires right up (yum ok I said) drove it for 3 days and stopped by a gas station to buy some smokes and she starts right up and putters out and dies(4 in the morning).....next day I towed it to my brother's house and did a finding job on her, took the distributer apart and noticed that my rotor wasn't attached to anything...fixed that...re timed everything and put everything back together and it started and sounded great! Next day it would start over and it's backfiring out the throttle bodu and won't start... I'm a little upset after all that work and it's not working... I don't know what else it could be.. any one else have this problem? I've been wanting to put a 350 in it for a while or just get a better Nissan motor that's not the 3.0 any info would be great?

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

The 3.0 and 3.3s are some of the best engines Nissans made...

Anyway, have you even checked the work you did for errors? If you've messed with something always double check especially when the vehicle acts up soon after.

Backfiring is almost always timing related. When was the last time the timing belt was replaced? Make sure the rotor is pointing at the No. 1 point on the distributor cap when the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke.

If that's fine, check the ECU for codes.

Edited by Kingman

x2 on the double check, just because you did/replaced something and trust your own skill don't mean to trust the vechile likes what you did and didn't reject it :lol:

and don't forget the free code check as well http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/21-ecu-self-diagnostics-for-87-95-pathfinder/

Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor. Its the yellow plug on the left cylinder head behind the timing belt cover. It relays via resistance the engine temperature so the ECU can adjust the air fuel ratio (injector pulse width) and timing.

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of vac leaks since I got it from the old owner.. list of taped hoses :/ what's a fusible link? And ima get. A whole new distributor soon

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Needed a new distributer, camshaft gears, pulleys, and timing belt.... Sorry for the late reply I've been busy within work

Sent from my Q7 using Tapatalk

Edited by b1ndm4n

• 1 month later...

Nice job I need to do my timing on my 3.0l also but i don't want the bend a rod and blow my motor. I need to come up with 900 to get her retimed and new water pump and belts. I can do the water pump and belts but timing this motor is a not fun. I might need to do the distributer also

Nice job I need to do my timing on my 3.0l also but i don't want the bend a rod and blow my motor. I need to come up with 900 to get her retimed and new water pump and belts. I can do the water pump and belts but timing this motor is a not fun. I might need to  do the distributer also

As long as the old belt is intact you will be able to just do a new timing belt as long as you follow the instructions and get things lined up/count teeth and set the tensioner correctly you should be good to go. It is easy as long as internals are not jacked up via broken belt etc.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2