My sentra smoke and back firing, long post

ahardb0dy

So last night on the way home from work I'm driving in the left lane and there is a Chevy pickup in the right lane, I start to pull alongside and pass the truck and the guy increases his speed to stay next to me, I'm thinking Whats up with this guy?

I'm in 5th gear and step on the gas and start to pull away from him and he catches up and stays right next to me, now I really want to know what his problem is, so I floor the car and as I'm pulling away I look in the rear view mirror and it looks like my car is smoking, as I get a few lengths away from him I start to slow down and the car backfires, never did that before.

The guy pulls up next to me and is pointing at my car or me, and is laughing, he looks like someone I know but the guy I know does not have a blue chevy pickup so I have no idea who the guy was or if he was just laughing at the car smoking or what.

Today when I get ready to leave work I start the car and I'm revving the engine a little and it doesn't sound right, and is running rough, I pop the hood and check around under the hood, nothing appears out of place.

I pull over by my buddy and he says when I rev the engine there is some smoke coming out, the engine is definitely running rough and sounds like the engine is ticking, like if it was a little low on oil, I have good oil pressure.Also smells like it's running rich. I pull the sparkplug wire off each plug one at a time to see if it makes any difference, pulling each one off did cause the engine to run worse so I know I'm getting spark at each plug, I look at the coil wire at the coil and it didn't look right, the boot is almost off the coil and when I moved it I could see the end of the coil wire.

Shut the engine off so I don't electrocute myself and the coil wire connector is fitting loose into the coil, usually is tight.

I had to expand the terminal on the coil wire to get it to be tight into the coil, start the car and it's running smooth, and no ticking, drove home kind of beating on it in 5th gear, no smoke, no backfiring. It actually ran really good.

Filled the tank this morning and got 28.8 MPG so I doubt the coil wire was loose for long.

Just weird.

Found out yesterday after looking at both coils, the sentra one and the pathfinder one, that they both use the same part. This is good because as you know the coil on the pathfinder is usually covered and would probably be in better shape if I ever got a junkyard one, compared to the one in the sentra that is not covered and is exposed under the hood,

Plus I can get one from a 95 PF or up to a 98 Quest, so if I got a used one it would be up to 8 years newer than one from my year sentra.