What PSI do you run in your tires?

Karmann

With my pathfinder I ran 35 on road, 25 off and on very rare occasions 20. (What can I say, I hated airing up later.)

With my CJ I've finally gotten into airing down, 15-20 PSI off road, 30 on.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

Usually run 30-32 on road, off depends would depend on the terrain, in my old hardbody with 33" or 35" in deep sand might run 20 PSI. mud/snow same as on road.

Don't ever run the max that the tire says on the sidewall, you need to look at the rating for ex. if the tire says 35PSI at 2500 pounds than take the 2500 pounds x 4 = 10,000 pounds, does the truck weigh 10,000 pounds? No? so than you don't need to run 35 PSI.

Best way to determine the proper air pressure is the chalk method, make a chalk line across the tread of the tire, drive straight, look at the chalk, worn away in the center, too much air, worn away on the edges too little, repeat until chalk wears away evenly across the tread.

35 on road and 25-30 off road depending on what, haven't experimented lower yet. Running 31 x 10.5

To add to my previous comment, load rating is 2270lbs and running a 15" rim

I personally go with 35 on and down to 22 off. Except every time I take it to the stealer ship or alignment shop, they take it down to 30, which is very frustrating in an OCD way...

With my pathfinder I ran 35 on road, 25 off and on very rare occasions 20. (What can I say, I hated airing up later.)

With my CJ I've finally gotten into airing down, 15-20 PSI off road, 30 on.

Pathfinder had lego wheels, 31x10.50 Rugged Trail T/As.

CJ has steel 15x8 wheels. Both tires listed in my sig, 235/75/r15

I currently don't have a clue what's in my tires at the moment... Not flat? :shrug: when I switched over to them for the winter I had to put stems in 2 of them and if a bead leak, I think I set them at 30psi (still fair wearer road use) but that's firestone destination a/t 31x10.5s on 15x8s on a 2 door wd21 driven by a scrawny dude with a couple fishing rods in the back :lol:

I currently don't have a clue what's in my tires at the moment... Not flat? :shrug: when I switched over to them for the winter I had to put stems in 2 of them and if a bead leak, I think I set them at 30psi (still fair wearer road use) but that's firestone destination a/t 31x10.5s on 15x8s on a 2 door wd21 driven by a scrawny dude with a couple fishing rods in the back :lol:

well if you take your large neighbor anywhere you better pump the tire pressure up a little !! LOL

I was going to say, better mention size of rim, make, model and size of tire and load rating as well. Too many variables for an easy comparison...

B

THIS

The tire pressure you run depends on the design of the tire. For a 31" on a Pathfinder, you should not need to run more than 33 PSI on an All Terrain tire because of a reinforced sidewall. On the contrary, highway tires benefit from higher pressure because they have softer sidewalls. You can run highway tires as high as 40 PSI. You can always air down off-road but I can't say how much because I never ran into a situation that required lowering tire pressure. Also, the recommended tire pressure of 26 PSI is for the tires that were included with the truck. They were not that great. The pressure was reduced for a soft ride but if you don't keep it at 26 PSI all the time, it will get dangerously low. You lose pressure in the tire when the temperature drops. You always want a little overhead to account for that.

I notice many of you run comparatively high (20+ PSI) off road. May I ask why? I typically run between 12-15. The ride is vastly superior (especially with the 9000XL's on 0), the tire grabs much better, and I've never blown a bead yet. Though I have watched someone do the ether and lighter trick :)