XJ Cherokee bumper mod

theexbrit

• 8 months later...

Not sure if this should be in the "How To" section, but here is a brief write up of my XJ Cherokee bumper mod.....

First remove the stock bumper (pretty easy, just remember to unplug the indicators, lights, etc, first).......

2013-08-27105354_zps4f5b2b78.jpg

2013-08-27105439_zpsa4542c26.jpg

Now, before you attempt to install you must cut the end off the XJ brackets where I have the red line marked (they are much too long & the bolt holes don't line up), also cut the top of the end pieces (again, where I have marked with a red line) so that you can bend them out to about 20 degrees, then fill the v notch with weld or some such & grind to a smooth finish.

bumpercuts_zps0131b2dd.jpg

Next, bolt in the winch tray......

2013-08-23123151_zps22eb04c4.jpg

Then bolt on the previously cut brackets (note; the ones in the photo are NOT cut, but the cut should be about in the middle of the upper "U" notch you can see on the bracket).....

2013-08-23123033_zps6e0c40ab.jpg

& slide the bumper onto the stock mounting bolts using the slot in the stock bracket that you have bolted to the XJ bracket.

Drill a hole through the open hole in the stock bracket & through the frame behind it for an extra bolt to fit, for a stronger mounting of the bumper.......

2013-08-27105404_zpsf6867276.jpg

The brackets should look like this when you're done bolting......

2013-10-19170056_zps46569652.jpg

If you want even more strength you can drill more bolt holes or weld as you see fit. Also, if you're mounting the light bar, etc, as I did then mount this (& the winch) BEFORE you mount the bumper on the truck, as it is a pita once you have the bumper mounted.

Anyway, once mounted it should look something like this.......

2013-10-18112432_zpsdd514e08.jpg

2013-10-18112325_zpse6bd5725.jpg

If you have to have a front license plate (as we do here in California) then you can just use velcro or some quick release system to hold it on until you hit the dirt......

2013-10-19155647_zps8bbf4288.jpg

I relocated my indicators into the side/marker lights by cutting a hole in the plastic housing & mounting the bulb & holder in there. It actually looks pretty good having the side light & indicator in the same lens when they're lit up.

So there you go, sorry it was a very brief write up but a buddy did the majority of the work for me (he has a fabrication shop) I didn't get a chance to take more detailed photos.

If you have any questions, message me or post 'em here. :itsallgood::aok:

I tried this tonight on my face lifted R50 and those stock brackets are extremely thin. I cannot believe you used those. Have you winched with this setup without tearing the bumper off?

• 5 months later...

I have the same question about the bumper's bolting location.

I'm not clear on what brackets you bolted this to?

The only location that seems acceptable for 8000+lbs of winching load would be the factory tow-hook mounting locations.

I'm curious if that's the location you are describing or not?

How has utilizing the factory mount plates held up after almost 2yrs? I'm thinking this might work fine for me because I plan to use a non-winch mount XJ bumper. I'm thinking of fabbing up a 2" front receiver, utilizing a combination of where the bumper mounts and the tow hooks, and have it sit just below the center of the bumper (may also try to incorporate a skidplate of sorts from the bottom of the bumper to the lower rad support). I like the versatility of a cradle mounted winch, for front or rear use.

Edited by 01Pathmaker

How has utilizing the factory mount plates held up after almost 2yrs? I'm thinking this might work fine for me because I plan to use a non-winch mount XJ bumper. I'm thinking of fabbing up a 2" front receiver, utilizing a combination of where the bumper mounts and the tow hooks, and have it sit just below the center of the bumper (may also try to incorporate a skidplate of sorts from the bottom of the bumper to the lower rad support). I like the versatility of a cradle mounted winch, for front or rear use.

Your plan sounds great. Without a winch, that mounting point would not be a problem.

And if you tie your 2" receiver in to the tow hook points it will be strong.

I don't know if theexbrit is still hanging around these forums? I hope he checks in soon and gives us his thoughts.

• Like 2

When I had mine initially mounted, it incorporated a bracket that tied into the tow hooks. One day I leaned on it and noticed it wiggled a bit. The front mounting by itself is not strong enough. At this point I had never winched the pathy yet, only used it to winch my tractor. (Still fairly new at that point). Immediately I revisited the design and the only bullet proof way of mounting this bumper is by welding it onto the unibody "frame".

I've since winched a hydro seed trailer out of a ditch, my dock out of the water and over a river bank, and my law tractor yet again...apparently I need to stop trying to off-lawn with it :)

c719ccd8dbb4a0c4bb7804239a238b5d.jpg

41e23b608ccb692527536fd6233fa919.jpg

a18ee206e19a7566d6f6e107c5d26a4a.jpgd6bfafbca16c96fc13f02ee37172cc18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

• Like 1

And instead of relocating the windshield washer fluid, I decided to protect it instead, seen here:

815e5b5f-e0b1-4931-a372-5c960ca35cb1.jpg

That looks much cleaner I think. I have yet to find time to sketch out what's rolling around in my head, but I'm thinking of incorporating the center skidplate down to meet up with the one I have from Steve, and adding tapered "wings" from the bottom of the bumper to a location yet to be determined. It should have a cleaner look, offer a little additional protection and hide the washer bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, I got ahold of theexbrit. He said the bumper has held up well.

A couple braces were added between body and bumper to stop lateral movement, but it works great and the approach angle is much nicer with this bumper.

Thats what I got for ya.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Stupid Photobucket has hijacked all your pictures. I don't suppose you still have them around?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

This extension will let you see everything

Edited by micahfelker
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...