Bad MAF harness Ground- Nissan Official Fix

Inyourface1650

x2

The reason why these great trucks are in the junkyard all the time...

That revised Nissan part looks fantastic! and only $20! Not even worth my time attempting to solder my old one.

As of very recently, I've been experiencing intermittent sputtering at idle and around 2300-2800 RPM, but only in 3rd gear (or so it seems). I have a 5 speed, so it is very odd to think that a problem only occurs in a certain gear.

For the idle, the truck will bounce up and down, but not come close to actually stalling, for about 10 seconds, then stop. It's only happened twice in the past month.

I was driving today, and my truck just acted like it was out of gas, in that 3rd gear 2300-2800rpm situation. It would sputter, seem like it had no power, and almost made me put my hazards on and park it. Then, I pressed the gas pedal a little harder and it came back to life spectacularly. Also, if I shift to 4th gear, it will act normal and power right through the 2300-2800 range with no issues. I thought it was a fluke, but I was able to reproduce the results pretty reliably.

Is my issue possibly related to a loose MAF ground? If so, is there a way to test it under normal conditions? Or do I have to catch the issue in the act and jiggle the wire? Would my ECU have any invisible codes stored?

It does sound like this is your issue. It will come and go unexpectedly and flooring the pedal usually makes it go away, at least in my experiences with this. Many people have been able to make the problem happen while wiggling the wire with the engine running and determining it is the problem.

This problem does not store codes in the ECU to read. OBD-1 isnt that smart!

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, The extra 24in wire is just connected to the stock ecu grounding wire pin inside the plug. :)

If you were going to make one of these at home, you would want to attach an extra grounding wire to the stock grounding wire as close to the connector as you possibly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I have a question: I have 1990 WD21 which I bought last summer. It's had a few things that were needing attention the MAF included. I took a look at the wiring on the truck and have only three wires on my MAF connector and only one connector to the sensor end. The other end is hardwired into the harness with some seriously big wires. I tweaked the sloppy connector ends for now but which wires are what function? I can post up a picture soon but I'm just trying to get my bearings with conflicting wire colors.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

I have only the one connector that plugs into the MAF sensor port, the wiring kit has one on both ends of the assembly plus an additional black wire making for 4 wires. I'm a kinda lost!!

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

you unplug your existing connector from the MAF, than plug the new harness into the plug you removed, the other end goes into the MAF sensor, the new harness also has an extra ground wire that you run to a ground.

The purpose of this harness is to repair the existing harness if it has a ground problem

see this pic below:

15pfs6c.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

That's a nice counter! The problem I have is this is what I'm looking at and the wire colors, when the plug is connected to the MAF sensor are ALL wrong...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2cev4N8xowEaWVpdDFwVkdBWGM/edit?usp=sharing

And yes I know the lower airbox is broken and being held on with 6 zip-ties to the upper airbox.... it's on my list to fix....just like the possibly faulty injectors, but first things first!

Edited by SpecialWarr

hey thats my counter and plug :)

Thanks, I borrowed your pic to try to explain this better to SpecialWarr ! LOL

Your wires may be different colors depending on the year of your truck compared to the year of the truck of the OP ( which is a 94), you should contact the dealer (Rob on the forum) where the OP bought this harness repair kit to see if the same one will work on your year.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yea I talked to the parts guy at my local dealership and they told me that the "official repair" is the harness pictured above. I also had this discussion with them in regards to what I have under the hood and the harness' conflicting wire colors and diameters with no information from them to clarify my issue. There also doesn't seem to be anything in the Haynes so that's no help either... I hate electrical issues to begin with, so all of this is getting me closer and closer to handing it to a mechanic!!

I understand that the '90 is a transition year between sub-models and a lot of stuff crosses over between the older model and mine but without a wiring diagram I'm in the dark without a match...

I didn't let them know that I was aware of this as a repair part, I just told them that I needed a new connector for my MAF (sloppy fit), this is what I had delivered. I, obviously, gave them all the pertinent info on the truck including the VIN when I was there the first time to order the part. I'm aware that it's also the first year of the VG30E here in Canada.

So what I have in my hand:

24079-40F00

ENGINE SUB HARNESS

Maybe there is a difference in US and Canada emission control versions??

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All, new pathy owner and new to the forum's. thanks everyone for all the info on here, very informative. I also had a MAF ground problem started with the basics ( fuel filter, plugs, wires and so on) then seen this thread. I just soldered an xtra ground onto my stock plug and it been perfect ever since. Just wanted to ask about where to ground to. I wanted to make sure I got it grounded so I added it to my negative batt clamp, seems to be fine and running great. Does anyone see a problem with it being hooked this way ? Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hello all, new to the forum, I am trying to fix what I believe is a faulty mass air flow sensor ground on my 1995 Pathfinder (3.0L V6, 314,000 miles strong). The parts guy at Courtesy Nissan says that the official fix, part 24079-40F00 sub harness is designed to address the faulty MAF ground issue on the 1990-93 models, and from 1994-95 Nissan addressed/fixed the problem during manufacture. Does anyone have an opinion about this, and could installing this part on my 1995 do any actual damage? I am willing to take a chance on purchasing and installing this relatively inexpensive but un-returnable part as long as it won't cause any additional problems.

Thanks for your time!

That guy would be wrong, they are all the same. I had that problem on my 95, but not my 94 that I have now. Crazy enough. I would purchase the harness and install it. It does seem to cure the issue for most people.