Bad MAF harness Ground- Nissan Official Fix

Inyourface1650

Hey guys,

I've had the intermittent poor idle/stalling issue for years, and have narrowed it down the infamous MAF sensor harness ground.

I know this effects quite a few people, and many have simply wired in a new ground. While I am a proficient soldierer(?) and am quite happy running wires, I decided to order the official NIssan fix for the issue as specified in the TSB.

Alkorahil got me the part number :

24079-40F00

ENGINE SUB HARNESS

$20.39

What you get is this. Its basically an inline adapter with a ground wire coming out of it. HOWEVER - it is OEM quality wiring and I like that. (insert bad ground joke here...)
IMG_20131026_105843_zps513d2c50.jpg
IMG_20131026_105903_zpsc0cb8c92.jpg
You simply disconnect the MAF from your harness, and install this sucker in line. I simply grounded it to an available open bolt. Seems to be working well!
Sorry no pictures installed - broken camera. The one thing it does seem to be missing is an mount of some kind. the end of the harness looks to be setup to held by something - it just kind of dangles by the airbox.
Edited by Inyourface1650

There is no ground wire without this. It goes to a 0 volt source on the ECU. I'm not sure why or how. Maybe there is a built in tuner of some sort on the ECU that tweaks the reference ground?

By the way, there is always that wires getting broken in the harness from pulling when changing air filter theory. Wiggling the wires might help to clear up the problem. I had that problem before when I took my fix harness off and what I did eventually was cut off the old factory harness a little more down the line and splice the new fix connector harness on. I left the ground connected on but I seemed to have no problems if the extra ground was not connected.

Many theories exist for this problem. lol

Ok done post spamming. Where is that edit button when you need it?

When you come to NPORA trying to figure out why your truck runs like crap... :D

It can be idle issues, loss of power, running rich, stumbling at certain RPM ranges, etc. Basically, the computer is getting wrong or no info on how much air is coming down the pipe so it tweaks engine control settings incorrectly. It can be intermittent as well.

B

The kicker was when it died in rush hour on my girlfriend. She fully stopped it in the middle of the road, put it in park, started it, and drove off. Im sure the people behind her were pleased....

I then showed her the "throw it in neutral while its still rolling, wood the pedal, start and slam into gear" trick :) (and bought the part)

Edited by Inyourface1650

:headwall: Please don't tell me it's an auto! People in rush hour traffic are really going to be pissed when there's a transmission scattered all over the road! :stickwack: Edited by Kingman

:headwall: Please don't tell me it's an auto! People in rush hour traffic are really going to be pissed when there's a transmission scattered all over the road! :stickwack:

Absolutely its auto. Oh btw the Torque converter wont unlock below about ~32F when the tranny is cold. Aka I neutral drop it nearly every morning in the winter to leave my parking spot LOL.

Seems to hold up....

But in all seriousness. I had experienced the problem for years and knew what to do, somewhat safely. Putting my girl in that situation though...No bueno.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello :)

Can someone please measure which of the pins in the connector is grounded by this extra wire? Part is hardly or maybe not even available here(Poland) and I think it might be easy to fabricate something similar :)

As a background I add that my pathy is not idling at all... and I am trying to rule out every possible reason.

:headwall: Please don't tell me it's an auto! People in rush hour traffic are really going to be pissed when there's a transmission scattered all over the road! :stickwack:

x2

Absolutely its auto. Oh btw the Torque converter wont unlock below about ~32F when the tranny is cold. Aka I neutral drop it nearly every morning in the winter to leave my parking spot LOL.

Seems to hold up....

But in all seriousness. I had experienced the problem for years and knew what to do, somewhat safely. Putting my girl in that situation though...No bueno.

The reason why these great trucks are in the junkyard all the time...

That revised Nissan part looks fantastic! and only $20! Not even worth my time attempting to solder my old one.

As of very recently, I've been experiencing intermittent sputtering at idle and around 2300-2800 RPM, but only in 3rd gear (or so it seems). I have a 5 speed, so it is very odd to think that a problem only occurs in a certain gear.

For the idle, the truck will bounce up and down, but not come close to actually stalling, for about 10 seconds, then stop. It's only happened twice in the past month.

I was driving today, and my truck just acted like it was out of gas, in that 3rd gear 2300-2800rpm situation. It would sputter, seem like it had no power, and almost made me put my hazards on and park it. Then, I pressed the gas pedal a little harder and it came back to life spectacularly. Also, if I shift to 4th gear, it will act normal and power right through the 2300-2800 range with no issues. I thought it was a fluke, but I was able to reproduce the results pretty reliably.

Is my issue possibly related to a loose MAF ground? If so, is there a way to test it under normal conditions? Or do I have to catch the issue in the act and jiggle the wire? Would my ECU have any invisible codes stored?