Do i need the Evap canister to pass emissions?

ferrariowner123

I'm thinking about cleaning up my engine bay, and just making the engine a little more simple.

I've read from all of the Z guys that the EVAP canister doesn't really do anything other than keep fuel vapors out of the atmosphere? At least that's my understanding.

In that same article it said that it doesn't effect emissions, and doesn't hurt fuel efficiency.

Can any of the Nissan gurus confirm that? All my state does is the sniffer when it comes to the emissions, can i ditch the can without a concern of a "no pass"?

Thanks

-Kyle

• Like 1

I dont have inspections either. Nor do they check for check engine lights. The last two times I have gone to get my cars emissions checked, they just stick a sniffer up her tail pipe and have me run the engine up to 25 mph or something.

But just to confirm, I can disconnect my Evap stuff and it won't hurt my mpg or my emissions (in reference to what comes out of the tail pipe), does that sound right?

Thanks for the replys

-Kyle

We do not have vehicle inspections in South Carolina. I would just love to get the SES light to turn off as I have been staring at it for the past four years (est.).

Just stick some duct tape over it, hey presto! No more cel!!! :laugh:

• Like 1

Just stick some duct tape over it, hey presto! No more cel!!! :laugh:

I actualy had that with a vehicle. They had put black electrical tape over the CEL so you could not tell if it was on or not. It was very clever and impossible to tell from looking at it.

• Like 1

My professional mechanic buddy told me to do the same! He also informed me that if I start to hear funny noises to turn the radio up.

I'll tell you one thing, I will never buy a used car that is advertised as a "mechanic owned" vehicle! :lol:

• Like 1

I actualy had that with a vehicle. They had put black electrical tape over the CEL so you could not tell if it was on or not. It was very clever and impossible to tell from looking at it.

:lmao::headwall:

My professional mechanic buddy told me to do the same! He also informed me that if I start to hear funny noises to turn the radio up.

I'll tell you one thing, I will never buy a used car that is advertised as a "mechanic owned" vehicle! :lol:

:rofl:

Pulling the bulb was too technical? :unsure:

B

Ahh, thank you for the education! :aok:

Ehem...

So, clipping two posts on an LED was too technical?

:D

B

I dont think these were brilliant people trying to pull the wool over us.......

• Like 1

Is there a way to ground out or trick the computer into thinking the evap is working normally?

-Kyle

interesting. Perhaps just closing the loop will work?

You would haev to look at what kind of signal it gets from the sensor, check the FSM for the testing proceedure to see.

Yep, unless it is a sensor that delivers variable resistance or voltage, but even then, maybe.

One would think this should be pretty straight forward thoughas it can't possibly have anything to do with active engine systems management.

I dont think these were brilliant people trying to pull the wool over us.......

This is a good point! :D

B

• Like 1

If you remove the evap canister

1 .You need to find a way to vent the vapor so you don't blow a weld or a hose. Easy answer put a filter on the end of the line coming from the tank or on the vent line under the truck by the tank. Just make sure water wont get back inside it.

2. Now you have a vacuum leak that needs to get pluged. Screw in the hose with a clamp on it is my fav for that sort of thing.