Clink sound when turning

BBB

When I turn the steering wheel I get a metal-to-metal 'clink' sound coming from the front end. Sometimes multiple clinks, 2 or 3 in row. It's not a loud clink. I have to have my window down and the stereo off to hear it. The wheel turns freely, no binding when the noise happens.

Prior to replacing suspension and steering components I didn't have this noise. I replaced the following on my 93 XE 2WD.

• Strut rods and bushings
  • Upper and lower balljoints
  • tie rod ends, inner and outer
  • sway bar bushings and end links
  • shocks
  • greased everything that had a zerk

I've been under the truck with a rubber mallet banging on components trying to find the source.

I've retorqued everything I've worked on recently.

The bushings in the upper and lower control arms look fine and don't move when I put the crowbar on them.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Just to put off any obvious puns, it's not a major clink, or a Colonel Clink either (Hogan!)

Mine does it when close to wheel lock from those little metal bump stops rubbing normally does it when I am backing up and hit a small bump though. If we are thinking of the same sound. Mine is that little metal bolt looking thing that is in the mid right..there is one on each side and it rubs on that little arm off the lower control arm as a bump stop/steering lock so you. Been told putting grease on both sides will make the metal on metal contact noise go away ....never worked for me though. Again that is if we are talking about the same noise.

Pathfinder004_zpsf21d9969.jpg

Edited by edicer2

not the same noise, though I'm familiar with the creaking steering stops. Mine are greased now. I should have mentioned this happens when turning left and right off of center, no where near the stops.

Oops. missed that in his post..... :blush: I was at work on my phone and sometimes I'm not thinking too clearly. All you geniuses can't answer my questions, so go ahead and laugh!!

Edited by SkiBumBrian