OBD 2 code scanner

ahardb0dy

We have a couple levels of scanning ability here at work. The Modus gets into about everything (has the European update as well :aok: ) and to cheaper "cReseter" brand ones, one a bit nicer than the other. The cheapest one I've had an issue now and then with a certain VW and a Mercedes or 2 is a bit vague at times with codes, not a big deal though as even then it's a quick search on my shop computer, and will only do engine lights. The mid grade one is more definitive on codes, hasn't had an issue yet with the problem cars for the little one and will do a couple other warning lights as well (abs, air bag, I think It might pull body codes too). The Modus... It's a Modus :lol: battery life sucks on it!

I have an Innova from Walmart, it cost about $100. Works fine on pulling ECU codes off the Pathfinder, but that's a 1996. You want to make sure you get one that tells you more than just the code, get one with a screen that can read the code, give a brief explanation, and then clear it once you remedy the problem.

• Like 1

If you have an Android smartphone, a Bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque Pro blows away the little handheld pieces of garbage. You get live data and logging. A good Bluetooth adapter is $25 from Amazon (get the Bafx one) and Torque Pro is $5 from Google Play Store.

Will one of those inexpensive auto parts obd2 code scanners work with the Nissan?

May pick one up, I want to see if I can read anything on the 07 Sentra.

Thanks

My recommendation is to either stick to the very basic models that will just give you the code and clear them or jump up to the professional grade that tells you everything realtime. Between your vehicle manual and google, all you need is the actual code in my experience. I paid about $100 for a midline that I thought had some trouble shooting features, but all it has is an on-line function where they want you to pay for information, per code! F-That! It wasn't clear on the packaging and was a waste of time and $.

If you have an Android smartphone, a Bluetooth OBDII reader and Torque Pro blows away the little handheld pieces of garbage. You get live data and logging. A good Bluetooth adapter is $25 from Amazon (get the Bafx one) and Torque Pro is $5 from Google Play Store.

Yes, the smartphone option is viable, I believe they are available for any type now but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

B

I did a search on my iPhone for Torque Pro and found one called Engine Link. It's the first one in the App Store when you search Torque Pro, and it looks to be a real-time Bluetooth interface reader. It's $6, but has no ratings. It's been around since January of this year, so the no ratings thing is kind of disturbing.

Have an I phone will have to search to see if there is an app,

Thanks all

I know there are apps for the I phone, I read a good review about one and the associated cables in Popular Mechanics. I can do a brief search for it if you are interested.

B

I have an Innova from Walmart, it cost about $100. Works fine on pulling ECU codes off the Pathfinder, but that's a 1996. You want to make sure you get one that tells you more than just the code, get one with a screen that can read the code, give a brief explanation, and then clear it once you remedy the problem.

I have the same one.

Works on 06+ domestics very well at least.

WD21's can't use them since they are not OBDII, but I have a bluetooth adapter plugged into my car. Ordered off of Amazon, plugged it in and left it. Anytime I need to use it all I have to do is launch Torque on my phone (Android) and link. Only time I have had it off the car is when I scanned my prior work truck (Dodge Dakota) and my brothers car (Chevy Cobalt)

Now I have read that it "may" be capable of some more advanced scanning if I bought Pro and installed some plugins, though I do not have Pro nor verified the plugins existance, just heard reference to some on the web.

I also have a handheld Autel MaxiScan MS409 scanner.

I got a guy I work with who said he had one I can borrow , if not I'll pick one up . I just want to see if I can get anything from the computer on this 07 sentra as the dealer said they couldn't

I know you can't use them on the WD21's, I said in my original post:

"I want to see if I can read anything on the 07 Sentra."

Thanks

Me thinks it was a tidbit of info for anyone searching and briskly reading so as to not assume and purchase something they would have no use for, not necessarily a directed at 1 person post (especially since there are wd21 owners chiming in that didn't specify they don't use them ON their wd21s. Guilty)

I know you can't use them on the WD21's, I said in my original post:

"I want to see if I can read anything on the 07 Sentra."

Thanks

Yeah, I read that. ;)

Please see below :togo:

Me thinks it was a tidbit of info for anyone searching and briskly reading so as to not assume and purchase something they would have no use for, not necessarily a directed at 1 person post (especially since there are wd21 owners chiming in that didn't specify they don't use them ON their wd21s. Guilty)

Exactly, thank you nunya :aok:

It's not uncommon for me (and some others) to add bits like that to help clear up some points or to simply restate key items for readers who find this later on through a seach. Often users only read the posts tagged by the searh engine and not the entire thread. :beer: