DIY Cold Air Intake water intrusion?

Karmann

For those of you who have removed the factory air filter housing and put a round pod filter (K&N etc) in its place, have you experienced any water intrusion when off roading? (IE fording etc)

I would like to have a little more performance, but am a little concerned as to if the CAI setup would make it so I could cross only shallower water vs stock.

Thanks!

:laugh: Well at this time, I'm not quite ready to commit to a snorkel both financially and in the looks department I was just curious if the mod would negatively effect the stock tolerance for water.

The CAI on my Frontier got "saturated" during a water crossing- no water ingestion into the motor AFAIK but it ran rough for a couple minutes until the filter dried out and it could get air.

I removed my CAI and went back to the stock air box on the pathfinder as well...

It would greatly negatively affect it.

Want to see how? If you have the filter already, try to breath through it and take a shower at the same time. There you go.

Remember, just because your not up the filter in water doesnt mean it wont get wet. Once you hit water or something as deep as the lowest part of the fan. The fan will start tossing that water all around like a water wheel.

Im running a DIY snorkel and a custom cone filter intake that I built. Just a regular specter cone filter inside a modified ford filter box. Hooked to my snorkel. It wasn't completely done when I took this but has since been taken into some fairly deep water
Vancouver-20131011-00593_zps63b171ec.jpg

It would greatly negatively affect it.

Want to see how? If you have the filter already, try to breath through it and take a shower at the same time. There you go.

Remember, just because your not up the filter in water doesnt mean it wont get wet. Once you hit water or something as deep as the lowest part of the fan. The fan will start tossing that water all around like a water wheel.

Right, that's what I thought. So I'm thinking of just keeping the stock, baffled setup then, with my k&n filter. I wonder if there's a stealth snorkel setup possible, like the through the firewall snorkels available for jeeps.

Not from a retail company. You'd have to make it custom. Even then the retail snorkel is for a non US/Canada R50. So you still have to mod.

Sent from my Moto X!

Argh. Well it was a wasted thought anyway since the brake lines are in the way where I would otherwise drill. I'm wondering, would one of those "sock" prefilters around a cone k&n help at all? They seem to claim 99% water resistance...