Dam new fangled cars !

ahardb0dy

Hopefully I will have the code scanner tomorrow when I go back to work, if the guy remembers to bring it, and than I can check to see if I get anything at all, The Nissan dealer said they couldn't get anything from the computer, I find it weird that they didn't find that blown fuse, I mean they connected the consult tool, couldn't get anything and that's where the diagnostic session stops???

They sound to me like they either didn't want to bother looking into the problem or they just wanted to sell as many parts as they thought I would be willing to buy.

I need to call other local dealers to see what they charge for the diagnostic, Rob was telling me his dealer stopped charging to do a diagnostic but I guess every dealer can set their own price, I called two here the one we had the car taken too that charges $69.95 and one other that told me it would cost $99.95

I was wondering about your fuses..but then I thought, 'well..it DID just come out of the dealership where they would have found a blown fuse if there was one...' Unbelievable. (sarcasm alert) It's strange you had a bad deal and were given the run around by the dealership; when my Altima was in, they tried to pull a fast one on me too.

After paying $600 plus to fix the antenna ring, we pick up the car and it won't hardly move, won't accelerate. My service manager says to me, "Well I told you the distributor seal was bad and had oil seaping out of it, don't you think that could be the cause of your car running badly? (get this, then he says) Oh and by the way your car wasn't even running when you brought it to us! Turns out he'd had one of his guys loosen the adjustment nut on the distributor and delibrately screwed the timing.

There was a time that I had my own timing light and socket set in the trunk, it would have taken two minutes and I could have fixed it right there in front of the guy, ohhh how sweet that would have been. "Hmm, looks like it's running great now huh!?"

well that's kind of what I'm hoping that now that the fuse in replaced,

( I guess the $70 diagnostic only involved plugging the Consult tool in and than saying every major computer part needs to be replaced, don't bother checking the fuses !!)

that if I can get the computer to give me a code ( or codes ) than I could bitch to Nissan why there techs couldn't figure out the fuse was bad, and instead just wanted me to pay $1600 to replace the 3 major computer parts in the car.

And before Precise even says anything, as he usually does, No I don't know what the dealer did, they just said they couldn't get anything from the computer, and Yes, I understand not all dealers are honest.

Thanks

Condolences on the loss.

Man, to bad your 4hrs away. I'd let you use my scanner. Its a simple blue tooth scanner that works with the Android App Torque. Works great.

Which, if you have a iPhone, not sure the options there.

Thanks, my buddy so far has forgot to bring it two days in a row, I reminded him again today and told him put it out with your keys that way you will see it when you leave in the morning, 10 to 1 he forgets again ! I may just buy my own, sure I will get use out of it.

So my unreliable friend from work failed to come through with the scanner and unknown to me, my neighbor across the street who I was telling about the car today, tells me hold on a second, goes out to his truck and pulls out a scanner made by Mac tools ! I said I didn't think to ask you cause you never work on your own cars and he said not at home anyway ! He's a chief mechanic for a place that maintains planes for a flight school.

So I hooked it up and it is reading from the computer, it showed me the car's Vin number and came up no codes, also had another section where it checked different parts of the system, ex. intake air temp, timing, etc and it told me all that info too, so it is connecting to the computer.

so what to do from here, I told my wife it could be the ring that goes on the ignition and it is bad so it's not reading the chip in the key, and if we buy that part for about $49 and it doesn't fix the car, than we are out $49 as I'm sure electrical parts are non-returnable.

If you can, Autozone. "Limited Lifetime Warranty" on pretty much everything in store. Just make sure to register the part to your name at the store and keep your receipts.

Edited by Rebelord

• 2 months later...

So on with the latest !!!

Had the locksmith here again, Monday to try one last time to do what ever he could to see if he could program what ever it is they program, he got further than he did the first time but no luck, didn't charge us again, he said he is stumped on what is wrong.

Had the car towed to a different Nissan Dealer 2 days ago, the second dealer just called with something totally different than the first dealer said.

This dealer claims there is something mechanical wrong with the engine, he claims they got no compression from ALL 4 cylinders, that there is fuel getting to the fuel rail and it has spark, but no compression, later when I called him back to talk to him further he changed his story to one cylinder had no compression. I asked about the Key icon in the gauge cluster telling him that the FSM tells if you turn the key to "on" and that key icon stays lit that that means the immobilizer is locked, he said there were no codes in the computer because I had the battery disconnected. I asked about if they looked into the immobilizer thing using consult and he said they could for an extra $300 ( which would include pulling the valve cover to check the timing chain) the guy told me they wanted to pull the valve cover to check the timing chain. He claims the top half of the engine is not turning when you try to start the car.

I asked how he could tell the top half of the engine was not turning, he said you could see the cam ('s) were not moving looking through where the oil cap is on the valve cover, as far as I know I thought their was some kind of a tray that sat over the cams and you couldn't see anything but I may be wrong?? I asked if it was an interference engine, he said it was.I said if the chain broke or jumped a tooth and the valves were out of wack that the engine would not turn over because the pistons would hit the valves, he said it would, don't know about that. (My PF engine would not turn over when the timing belt and valves was F-ed up)

So we decided to not have them look into it any further and told the service guy we would have the car picked up, it was supposed to be $100 for the diagnostic but he said they weren't going to charge us ?? Surprise but I'm not going to argue, bad enough it's costing me $75 every time the tow truck operator moves the car.

Now I'm going to have the car picked up from the second dealer and taken to my buddies shop, if it is something mechanical, which I doubt, I will have him fix it.

I even called Rob to ask about the no compression thing and he likelihood of the timing chain breaking, Rob said they don't even stock the timing chain as they haven't had problems with this engine. Rob mentioned the chain guides and I said if the guides were bad you would hear it, this car ran fine the morning I took the battery terminals off to clean them, and all this started after I did that, I find it hard that now it has mechanical problems !!

Wife is fed up with the car, it's costing us money we really don't have and nothing is getting done and it still doesn't run !!! So far first tow to dealer $35, first dealer diagnostic charge $70, tow home from dealer $75, tow to second dealer $75, tow to my buddies shop not known yet at least $75, part I bought from Rob hoping it would solve the problem $51 !!

Happy New Year to us !!! BLAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

end of Rant !!!!

Edited by ahardb0dy

Just a quick question, does your cig lighter work? It should share the same circuit as the power to the DLC connector. No power, no connection. I did read this is a 2001 Altima, right? If so, the code you need to program the key is 5523. This was the only code they used in the early chipped keys. It's also the early version of LAN/CAN diagnostics. If the tech did his job right, there should be a sheet attached to the repair order, with printouts showing what worked and what didn't. Again, I will go back and look, but are you using a old key or a new one? Factory or aftermarket? If the red key light is on, the system doesn't recognize the key(not programmed or failed internally). The no compression is probably washed cylinders from the fuel injectors start squirt, and now hasn't been able to clear the cylinders. This can be counteracted by putting it in clear-flood mode, which is hold the accelerator down to the floor while cranking, and not letting up until the engine revs up. Sorry for your issues man.

Ok, wait, never mind all that. 07 sentra should have a 5 digit code on the BCM sticker. This code has to be put into ASIST to get another code that allows the key to be programmed, if that's the issue. It is completely plausible the ECM is cooked, of it won't communicat at all. Now, the CAN system is even easier to diagnois in 07. The consult 3 and 3 plus both have 1 button Can diagnostics that shows you what is communicating, and what's not. Again, this should have been printed and attached to your repair order. If anything is not communicating, it's a simple check for power and ground. If it has it and don't work, it's smoked.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I had the car towed to my buddies shop, we opened the hood and removed the oil fill cap and cranked the engine, you can see the cam turning, as well as the belts, so I don't think it is a timing chain issue, he said it sounds like it has no compression, he will check everything when he can get to it, I'd rather it sit at his shop than in front of my house.

He's working on a Massey Ferguson tractor right now, lol

I did not receive any paper work from the dealer, The code the locksmith got from the BCM is 7AAC3 and than the code you need to program the key is 3941

Thanks for the help !

Do you have a intelligent key or regular chipped key? If it's a regular key, the key fob won't keep it from starting. The chip on the key is on the bottom of the head, you should be able to see a small rectangle outlining the chip. Sure sounds like a key issue to me. Been down that road a few times. Keep me informed on what your friend finds.

So far first tow to dealer $35 ... tow home from dealer $75, tow to second dealer $75, tow to my buddies shop not known yet at least $75

Just a suggestion... AAA I towed the Pathy 3 times before I figured out that this was a better solution. Twice myself using a Car Dolly (Popped clutch pressure plate spring / Rounded Crank keyways-slipped balancer and t-belt pulley) and once on a towing companies Flatbed(Broken Camshaft)

• Like 1