Dam new fangled cars !

ahardb0dy

I know one time i set the immobilizer thing off in my '98 pathfinder, and i had to use the key in the door for it to start, it wouldn't even turn over though.

Something about unplugging the battery and then all this starting is sort of weird.

Just a suggestion... AAA I towed the Pathy 3 times before I figured out that this was a better solution. Twice myself using a Car Dolly (Popped clutch pressure plate spring / Rounded Crank keyways-slipped balancer and t-belt pulley) and once on a towing companies Flatbed(Broken Camshaft)

Times a million

• 4 weeks later...

Update, we are done with this car, my buddy was able to get the compression back up to normal but he says there is no fuel to the fuel rail and no ground pulse to the injectors (??), he said it's a computer problem and he can not do anything else to it, the car has been to two dealers and it's not going to a third. We have already spent almost $1000 on it including two payments to my wife's GF and since she took her new traveling nursing job she hasn't shown any concern that the car she basically sold my wife does not run, knowing it had this problem since it was new. She told us if we didn't want to fix it she would have it repoed and my wife told her if my buddy couldn't fix it than we are done with it.

Going to go pay my buddy for checking it, ( a whole $30 is all he wants but I'll give him extra we always do, I take care of him he takes care of me), than if he says I can leave it near his shop I will clean it out, remove the brand new battery I just bought for it, pull the tag and they can come pick it up.

Looking at buying a used car right now, applied for financing at carmax and with my crappy credit got 2 approvals, not the best interest rate but workable.

My wife has wanted a Cadillac CTS for ever and we figure if we have to have a loan it will be for a car she wants. Not 100% on the Cadillac yet as she also mentioned Camry's and I showed her a Hyundai Azera that looks pretty nice too.

Definitely will NOT be buying another Nissan, at least not a newer one.

Thanks for all the suggestions on this problem, I appreciate all your help !!

Edited by ahardb0dy

The one we were looking at is a 2006, from doing research it seems all of them have a timing chain issue as well as oil consumption. We are not 100% committed to the Cadillac at this time though. Would love to buy a newer one 2008 or newer but not in the budget.

Would you consider BMW? Like a nice e46, or if you needed something larger, an e39?

Of course if you're avoiding German and nissan, then a Lexus IS isn't half bad.

Right now I am looking at Acura's haven't ruled any brand out but not sure on a BMW don't suppose parts would be cheap for one of those and I'm sure they aren't easy to work on.

I like the acuras too. Look at the TSXs of any generation (said to have great handling) and they get good mileage as they only have a highly tuned 4 cylinder, and are essentially the euro accord.

Are there any specific options you want from the car? Because to be frank, here at least there is a bmw for literally every price range. And many people do DIYs on them, lots of forums etc.

You know it's eff'd up that it came to this man, to quote Rick from Walking Dead, I'm sorry this happened to you Hardbody. I love my two Nissan's I own now and I've loved every one of my previous Nissans I owned an eon ago, my 91 pickup, my 85 Maxima, a 80 280zx, an 81 diesel 810/b Maxima, and I have to give a brief nod to my 1st car at 16 years old which was an 83 Pulsar NX. As Nissan owners we profess our love to all who will listen, our cars are indestructable, they are the best! It's a shame what happened with your Altima / Sentra? I forget which, sorry.

It makes me sad that Nissan had to put so much useless over tech in that car as to completely deadline it in such a fashion and even the Nissan tech's can't figure out what's wrong with it. At this point, if I were in your shoes I'd make a direct challenge / threat to Nissan Corp to take back their lemon and diagnose it or else you're going to put the whole story, complete with supporting documentation (tow receipts, write up work order copy from the dealership, etc...) on youtube and say what a piece of crap that year model of that car was. You bought the car predicated on the heart felt belief that it's a Nissan DAMNIT! It's a good car! WTH!? I had faith in you Nissan, now back me UP!

It makes me sad that Nissan had to put so much useless over tech in that car as to completely deadline it in such a fashion and even the Nissan tech's can't figure out what's wrong with it. At this point, if I were in your shoes I'd make a direct challenge / threat to Nissan Corp to take back their lemon and diagnose it or else you're going to put the whole story, complete with supporting documentation (tow receipts, write up work order copy from the dealership, etc...) on youtube and say what a piece of crap that year model of that car was. You bought the car predicated on the heart felt belief that it's a Nissan DAMNIT! It's a good car! WTH!? I had faith in you Nissan, now back me UP!

Agreed, definitely sounds like a lemon to me, those issues aren't normal.

Paper work from the dealers?? Oh, they were supposed to give me paper work !!! I haven't gotten any !!

I don't think it's so much a matter of not being able to figure out what is wrong as much as I think they are trying to make as much money as possible, I just messages Rob asking him this (yesterday). The first dealer said they couldn't communicate with the ECU using consult tool so the car will need a new ECU, BCM (body control module) and the immobilizer unit, so my question is if you can't communicate with the ECU, how do you know the car needs the other two parts? Why not say it needs the ECU first, install it, than reconnect the consult scanner and see what comes up???

It's a sentra by the way, very basic , no

Abs, no cruise , and the intermittent starting has been going on since it was new, the dealer my wife's gf used to go too down near Miami could not duplicate the problem so nothing was ever done.

I still love my nissans and nissan in general but anything newer than obd 2 I think I'll pass on, at least the older vehicles you can work on without needing a $6000 scan tool!

Edited by ahardb0dy

I know you probably don't need it down there (AWD), but 2009+ Subaru's are really nice, and maintenance is crazy easy! Legacy's are a dream and still get 25-30mpg

Agreed, though I've heard spark plugs are a PITA. Otherwise great cars, my gf has one and loves it.

Agreed, though I've heard spark plugs are a PITA. Otherwise great cars, my gf has one and loves it.

The DOHC cars yes, especially the old EJ25D. The six cylinder Legacy Outbacks are definitely one of those "gotta pull the motor to get the plugs" cars. I recommend staying naturally aspirated with a SOHC engine. I can do the plugs in my Subaru in about 15 minutes, and that's hood up to turn key. I reckon it takes about twice as long on a VG.

Spoke to my mechanic buddy and his recommendation is to not put any more money into the car so it's probably going to be going soon.

Looking at Honda Accords, my mechanic said they are really good cars, figured they would be since they are Honda's, I just have a thing against Honda, I don;t know, but I like how they look. He also told me to avoid the V6 with the automatic trans as they have been having issues with them, he also said the 4 cylinders run better anyway.

Got a quote for insurance on the CTS just to see what they would say, not a bad price for full coverage, $320 for 6 months, I'm sure a 4 cylinder Honda accord would be less.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Went down today to pay my buddy for checking the car, a whole $30 he charged me ( I gave him $50), I had to push the car into a spot up a small incline, the guy where the car was parked has a used car lot and asked me if I could move the car, I rolled the window down and pushed it into the spot, when I went to open the door to step on the brake the damn door was locked !! Almost ran myself over with a car that doesn't run LOL, got it to stop rolling, and proceeded to remove everything from the car, including the $100 battery I just bought for it.

My wife's GF can now call to have it picked up and we are done with it,

Want to say thanks to everyone for any advice that was given, this will be my last newer Nissan that I ever own. Will stick to older models from now on, at least you don't need a degree in electronics and computers to work on them.

at least you don't need a degree in electronics and computers to work on them.

Don't worry, it's not like we get paid as if we had one! Sorry you had a bad experience. You are talking to the right technician, but I'm on the other side of the country!