Dam new fangled cars !

ahardb0dy

So the 2007 Nissan Sentra my wife just took over paying for from our housemate has been having intermittent starting issues. Sometime it will just crank but not start, usually you mess with the key fob buttons or take the key out and let it sit for a minute and it will start.

Today I decided to replace the key fob battery with the correct battery as the one I had in it was a replacement but a different number, it was same specs but thicker, don't see how that could cause it not to start but figured I would try.

Also decided to pull the negative battery terminal to see if re-setting the ECU would do anything, pulled the negative off, noticed the positive terminal had corrosion on it, pulled that one off wire brushed it clean, used some baking soda and hot water got it nice and clean, put it back on and left the negative terminal off for about an hour.

Got back from the hardware store with the new key fob battery, put it in, hooked the negative back on, went to start the car, it cranked 2 times than nothing, sounded like the battery was dead, hooked the jumper cables up to my 90 sentra, the newer sentra (2007) would crank but would not start.

have noticed the car when it does start has been cranking slow lately, battery is 3 years old this December, so it probably needs a battery too, hope fully alternator is ok.

Started looking into it online and in the owners manual and found if the key is turned to the "ON" position and the "key" icon in the gauge cluster remains lit than the Nissan immobilizer system is activated.

So tried the second key, same result, also read the dealer has to re-program the key or the computer, and since the car won't start I would have to have it towed to a dealer than pay to have the key re programmed!!!!

Called a local locksmith, he said he could do it but doesn't think it will last, he said removing the negative battery terminal should not clear the programming for the chip in the key !!! Oh he said it would cost $125 !!

So here I am hating these new cars !!! Wishing there was a way to just disable the immobilizer system permanently !!

ROB, YOU OUT THERE !!!! HELP !!! LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy

I had the same thing happen to me as well. Ended up paying over $600 for a new immobilizer ring that somehow fits around the ignition column. 2001 Altima. Check with your insurance agency and ask if they reimburse for towing fees, State Farm hooked us up twice in one week. Two separate towings over that stupid immobilizer ring.

just called locksmith, they will be coming out soon, hopefully what ever they need to do will get the car to start and it won;t need anything else. The way our luck is, it will need something else though !!! Also need to call AAA as the battery the housemate had bought for this car, from them says it has a 3 year free replacement warranty and 3 years is almost up !

The dealer called earlier and asked me about water sitting on top of the trans, I said I cleaned the battery terminals with some baking soda and rinsed it off, they didn;t call back again, sounds like they may be having trouble finding out what is wrong, hopefully tomorrow will hear something.

Just heard back from the dealer, they say the car needs a new ECM, BCM and the immobilizer unit, they said nothing is responding, $1600 parts and labor !!

Can't afford that so we are having the car picked up, sucks we just took the payments over and still owe $5k on it !!

May have to find a smashed car and get the parts or used online, already messages. Rob to see what

He thinks,

Find it hard to believe that all 3 , ( 2 of them major ) parts are bad at one time

Didn't think with our luck it would have been a cheap fix !!!

Just spoke to the dealer again he said they didn't get any codes because they can't get anything from it, tried to blame the locksmith, I told him the locksmith needed a pin code to try and reprogram the thing to do the key and was able to pull a code from the BCM

Edited by ahardb0dy

Just heard back from the dealer, they say the car needs a new ECM, BCM and the immobilizer unit, they said nothing is responding, $1600 parts and labor !!

Can't afford that so we are having the car picked up, sucks we just took the payments over and still owe $5k on it !!

May have to find a smashed car and get the parts or used online, already messages. Rob to see what

He thinks,

Find it hard to believe that all 3 , ( 2 of them major ) parts are bad at one time

Didn't think with our luck it would have been a cheap fix !!!

Is there another dealership close enough to have it towed to? Sounds like they have no idea what to do if they can't just plug it in and be told the answers. OBD is fine and all, but basic trouble shooting ability is still required...

B

The owner of the car, my wife's friend who we took over the payments on this car from called the regional Nissan office to complain I guess based on last time she had it at a dealer and she told them about the starting issues she told them she wants them to cover the repair as it started doing this while the car was under warranty and I guess the other dealer didn't do anything about it, or something like that , the regional nissan office said they would get back to her tomorrow with an answer, long shot I know so everyone has to cross their fingers for us !!!

Haven't heard back from Nissan yet but my wife had the car towed back home, she said she doesn't trust the dealer.

They definitely didn't worry about getting the outside dirty as there are greasy hand prints on the trunk lid where they pushed it and all around the drivers door !

Want to see if I can borrow or buy a cheap code scanner so I can see if I can pull anything up from the computer. If Nissan refuses dto do anything than I have to figure out and fix this car.

Was just outside messing with the 07 Sentra, took the lower dash apart to get to the key sensor, under the hood I checked all the fuses and found one that looked slightly melted, it was blown to, the fuse was labeled ECCS , put a new one in but still won't start. MAybe the code scanner will work now, got to wait until a guy I work with brings his in for me to borrow.

I really have to get this car running and if it turns out to be something simple The dealer will hear about it.

I didn't even know there were fuses on the bottom of this panel , I had checked the one's inside the car. I lifted this black box up from where it sits and saw wires but I didn't pull it out far enough to be able to see it had fuses and relays in it.

Was just outside messing with the 07 Sentra, took the lower dash apart to get to the key sensor, under the hood I checked all the fuses and found one that looked slightly melted, it was blown to, the fuse was labeled ECCS , put a new one in but still won't start. MAybe the code scanner will work now, got to wait until a guy I work with brings his in for me to borrow.

I really have to get this car running and if it turns out to be something simple The dealer will hear about it.

Our trucks distributor cover has ECCS on it, I imagine its something like Electronic control system :).

Bet you'll get codes.