Manual Transmission Troubles

Fordnatic

Hey Guys,

Loaned out my 89 Pathfinder and the transmission started howling in every gear except 4th (direct). Even idling in neutral it whines. So I'm guessing there is a bad bearing in the countershaft. Anyone ever been into one of these? Would it be an easy fix to change a couple bearings? I just put a low mileage engine in it 4000 miles ago.....so I'd like to save it if I could.

Another possibility...I'm not sure of the interchange of different years. I can get a 2001 pathfinder with blown engine and new transmission for $300. Could either put my low mileage v30 engine in it or use it's trans in my 89, but I don't know if any of that stuff interchanges.

Thanks for helping out a pathfinder newby

2001 has a vq. It won't swap over either way...

Be easier to find a trans that isn't howling (input shaft bearing), and "over filling" it as per the fsm since nissan was nice enough to not put the fill hole far enough up the side of the transmission... :rant2: just my :my2cents:

:wiggle:

I don't think it's the input bearing, because my cousin drove it 300 miles home. As long as it is in 4th (direct) it works fine. That's when the countershaft is still, thus my diagnosis that it's a countershaft bearing.

Thanks for the swap info, I thought that was too many years apart.

The input shaft bearing is up too high for the fill level nissan made. When i dropped the trans from the 93 i used to have, the input shaft had a TON of play. was really loud and it still drove fine. just loud as hell. lol. 4th gear is a straight drive so from what i understood back then, there wasn't any "torque" so to speak to strain the bearing. but i could be wrong. i was 15 back then. haha

I recently had this problem in my old car. a 1987 Nissan 200SX with a VG30. The transmission sounded like it had rod knock, in every gear but 4th. About half of the bearings on the counter shaft were just GONE when it was pulled apart.

I recommend finding a transmission from another pathfinder (88-95 should all be the same, 88-92, maybe 93, for sure) and just swap it out with t-case still attached.

$300 is pretty decent for a r50 if you ask me. If I were you I would get the r50, swap the engine and drive it till you can fix the wd21 then either sell one or keep both.

Counershaft bearing(s) or input shaft. 4th gear is direct drive, 1:1, so it doesn't use them unlike 1,2,3, and 5. That's why 4th is silent. Pretty common with beaten Nissan MTs and using the wrong GL-5 fluid as it attacks the bronze parts. My 720 and '86 300zx had the same issue, and my Pathfinder is now starting to whine a bit.

'87-'95 MTs will all swap with each other.

Hey Guys,

Loaned out my 89 Pathfinder and the transmission started howling in every gear except 4th (direct). Even idling in neutral it whines. So I'm guessing there is a bad bearing in the countershaft. Anyone ever been into one of these? Would it be an easy fix to change a couple bearings? I just put a low mileage engine in it 4000 miles ago.....so I'd like to save it if I could.

A few people have rebuilt their MTs and from what I gathered, it is not terribly difficult other than getting the pig out, especially if you have previous experience. If you can, I'd drop the tranny, pull it apart as see what failed (sounds like you are on the right path). A simple rebuilt kit might solve it...

I question the random gear box swap as it is a gamble, you rarely know how it has been treated.

Regardless of what you do, remember to use GL-4 only and overfill the case with 5.1liters IIRC, the TSB is found in the Garage/TSB section.

I'm sure there are a few threads on the MT rebuild here, so give it a search and let me know if you cant find anything.

B