spare tire holder

LOVELADY

I was just wondering what is the biggest size you can fit on the spare tire holder on a 1995 pathfinder. its the one that swings open and the size of tires i have on my truck is 32x11.50x15 qnd i have a full size spare tire

I have 33's on my rig, and a matching spare. Being that they stick out(the carrier) quite a bit, I don't think there is a limitation in height. Most of us don't run much bigger than 33-35's. What the biggest issue is, is weight. The carrier bushings are well known to wear out and cause noise and closing issues. Rebuild them if needed. Add moe weight, might have to rebuild them more often.

He is talking about the swing out tire carrier. The tire mounts via the lug nut holes of the tire on a protruding pedestal with studs in the face. A rim has backspacing or offset, basically how far the mounting surface is from the side. Technically, your rim might have more back spacing than the length of the pedestal, meaning it would contact on the side before the mounting surface, meaning to wouldn't be held properly, and might even damage the rim if the lugs were tightened. This is unlikely, but still possible...

If the rim can be placed on the spare carrier with the mounting surfaces in contact but the side of the tire/rim not touching the frame of the carrier, then you have no issue. If that is hard to follow (hard to describe), let me know and I'll find a visual representation...

B

I just finished modifying the carrier to fit the offset if my rims last Saturday. It always bothered me how far the aftermarket rim stuck out from the tube frame of the carrier. I ended up chopping 2.75" off the back of the mount part then welding and drilling two plates back on to remount it. Now the tire is tucked up nearly flush with the carrier like it would have been from the factory.

My "spares" are all mounted on some form of factory wheel and sit nice and snug to the rack without being too close. (My spares are all either 31x10.5 or 32x11.5) I have no window clearance issues, my hinges let me know when they need lubed (I added zerks fittings) and te pin that holds te rack in the open position don't fit due to my taillight guards.

I just finished modifying the carrier to fit the offset if my rims last Saturday. It always bothered me how far the aftermarket rim stuck out from the tube frame of the carrier. I ended up chopping 2.75" off the back of the mount part then welding and drilling two plates back on to remount it. Now the tire is tucked up nearly flush with the carrier like it would have been from the factory.

Ok, so what size and offset is your rim, much less tire size? :scratchhead:

B