Problematic Pathy

Easy104

At first it was flashing when I stopped at a stop light and was creeping forward and then it went away. Then yesterday I pulled out of my driveway and it was a constant SES.

When did you run the seafoam through it? I was going to recommend some injector cleaner (just for good luck), I didn't see cap and rotor mentioned so they might be fried, and after that, check the timing. The random part has me scratching my head, makes me think you might have an intermittent wiring/connector issue.

Have you tried an advanced search here for 'random misfire' or the like? Also, you can download a copy of the FSM in the pinned thread in the Garage section. That should have some trouble shooting info in it as well.

B

This may be semantics but fuel injector cleaner is different from fuel system cleaner. Techron 'ProGard' fuel injector cleaner does not have PEA which is the most effective fuel system cleaner on the market while the more expensive Techron fuel system cleaner does. Seafoam is basically all solvents and while it may clean things, it can also leave its own deposits behind. PEA cleans without leaving anything behind.

Ok, got it. I'm just trying to find any relation or cause/effect. How many tanks of fuel between the sea foam treatment and the SES warning?

Anything else you can think of that might relate and keep this from being totally random?

This may be semantics but fuel injector cleaner is different from fuel system cleaner. Techron 'ProGard' fuel injector cleaner does not have PEA which is the most effective fuel system cleaner on the market while the more expensive Techron fuel system cleaner does. Seafoam is basically all solvents and while it may clean things, it can also leave its own deposits behind. PEA cleans without leaving anything behind.

Good point, and I was specifically referencing fuel injector cleaner. So, that generates 3 questions for me: so does that mean that Seafoam has PEA, is the Techron fuel injector cleaner worth using then and if not what is a food injector cleaner, not system cleaner?

B

Seafoam does not have PEA.

Products with PEA are:
Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner
Gumout Regane
Redline SI-1
CRC Guaranteed to Pass

Chevron Techron ProGard might have a small amount of PEA, I'm not exactly sure. But it's not worth buying. Redline SI-1 contains the most PEA per product but is not easily found in local stores. Gumout Regane High Mileage is probably the best bang for the buck found at your local WalMart for $5something IIRC. Techron is often BOGO at some auto parts store every month too. I would tend to use them for the tank before an oil change in case any of the stuff gets in the oil through fuel dilution. Even though it'd be a minuscule amount, I'd rather not chance anything. Multiple trips long enough to get everything nice and hot with time to sit between drives is better for the cleaner to work more effectively than burning through the entire tank on a highway run.

Edited by Towncivilian

I have ran 2 full tanks of gas since I sea foamed it. Also I hear a strange noise while accelerating hard, it's kind of a high pitched grinding/squeal. Is that normal?

check your belts, tensioners and pullys to see if they are the cause of this.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot remember, is yours the VG33 or the VQ35 engine? I have seen this problem in the VG's when the timing belt gets worn and the right cam(for some reason it seems to always be the right cam)goes out of sync 1 or 2 teeth. I have seen this problem in the VQ's as well, but that is often caused by low oil or a restricted oil filter.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a really strong feeling that it is what Mr_Reverse had suggested, but i am not sure. In the owners manual it said to change the timing belt every 105 thousand i believe and it currently has 178 thousand miles.

For this?

P0300 which is Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire.

Possibly, if it is sending out messed up EC data but this isn't a normal failure. I'd check things like timing, ignition and even fuel delivery/injectors first since most of that should be free. You can get a wrecking yard ECU to swap in as well. You have to get a proper match (year and trim) and there is a slight risk that it has issues as well, but much less expensive than buying a new ECU.

B

Well it turned out to be something really simple that i believe the dealership did. It turned out to be that the wires at the distributor were pulled out of their connectors and getting bad contact. Now my SES came back on and i got it scanned and it was P0420 which is catalytic converter efficiency. Should i even bother to do anything with this or would it cause harm to the car?