tough decision

johnyreb

The time has come to look into a different vehicle and there are a few at local car lots that have grabbed my attention (including another pathy) now the question is do I save for a couple months for a down payment trade in the pathfinder or sell it I'd hate to see it go but if I keep it it would just be a play toy and I've been to busy lately to go wheelin and I think I'd rather see it go to someone that would get some use out of it than watch it rot in my yard what would y'all do?

If you go with your wallet in lieu of your heart (keeping it) I'd say sell it outright. You will end up with more coin in your pocket than a shyster trade at a dealership. My dad used to be in the new car business. He always told me that anyone can go online and see what a new car costs but, no one knows how much they gave for the trade in. His lot made more money on used cars than new car purchases (large dealership in Charlotte, NC).

I mainly say its time for a new vehicle because I really need a pick up and I think y'all are right I will absolutely regret selling my pathy and besides I found a dealership that can approve me for 0 down on a slick 04 ram

Does the Pathy have a trailer hitch? My family doesn't have a pickup anymore, but my dad bought a pickup trailer (basically the back half of a Ford Ranger with a trailer tongue welded to it) that he can tow with his R50. It's worked out pretty well, and IIRC it was cheap too.

I mainly say its time for a new vehicle because I really need a pick up and I think y'all are right I will absolutely regret selling my pathy and besides I found a dealership that can approve me for 0 down on a slick 04 ram

Hard to replace a pickup with anything else, but the trailer option is a good point as well. If ythe Pathy is paid for and you won't get much for trade in, keeping it as a second vehicle/project is attractive... ;)

B

A trailer isn't a very good option for my line of work I don't haul enough equipment to need the trailer but it us enough that an SUV just isn't suitable beside I would honestly be worried about getting stuck pulling a trailer

A trailer isn't a very good option for my line of work I don't haul enough equipment to need the trailer but it us enough that an SUV just isn't suitable beside I would honestly be worried about getting stuck pulling a trailer

• 2 weeks later...

its a bitter sweet day for me I said goodbye to my beloved pathfinder but I traded for 1 of my dream cars (with less than half miles) a jeep Comanche I know some of you will very strongly disagree with this decision not only because I got rid of my pathy but because I got a jeep but I WILL own another pathfinder someday and I will be back I also sent the new owner this way and told him what a great group and useful resource npora is I still may pop in from time to time to see what kinda crazy cool and just down right crazy ideas y'all have come with

I rather liked the looks of those when they came out, but I know nothing about their mechanics or quality. I'm glad you got what you needed/wanted, even if it is a Jeep. :lol:

We bag on Jeeps a bit, but it is more out of envy for their aftermarket support than anything else. Don't be a stranger Bud, you are always welcome here. ;)

B

thanks and the mechanics are nearly identical to that of a Cherokee a lot like the d21 and the wd21 so far i'm liking it it gets a lot of looks and attention which may not be such a good thing with my driving habits lol right now my only complaint is the fuel mileage or rather the lack of it I haven't calculated it yet but it seems to be about half of what the pathy was getting :wtf:

Whoa! Only 1/2 of bad to begin with? Sounds like something is wrong. Is there any OBD system? Can you test the O2 sensor? Does it even have a MAF?

Like I said, I don't know Jeeps at all... :shrug:

B

• 2 weeks later...

I finally calculated the mpg of the jeep and I'm getting 8- 12 but that's with over 1000lbs of tools and junk in the bed and some very spirited driving had to do the first bit of work on it and replace the starter apparently oem jeep starters average only 5000 starts!!??

Damn, I hope you don't have to drive far then! Reminds me of the starter in my dad's Dodge Coronet 318. I don't think one ever lasted 2 years...

I saw a lifted Comanche in town just last week and thought of you. It was pretty cool, on 33s or 35s.

Glad it is working out for you, other than the mileage...

B