Always one thing after another !

ahardb0dy

The trip odometer wsn't working on my 90 Sentra, not a big deal really but my gas gauge doesn't work 100% either and I use the trip odometer to figure out when I need to get gas, I think the problem with the gauge is the sender, unfortuanetly you can not just by a new sender unit, and I can't afford a new fuel pump/sender.

Yes I could use the odometer to figure my mileage but than I have to remember the last mileage when I got gas, subtract it, it's just easier with the trip odometer.

So I took my gauge cluster apart and found a small plastic part that holds the rod that releases the numbered wheels when you press the reset lever in, was brokem, tried gluing it first but that didn't work, had another cluster in storage but didn't think that had a trip odometer, luckily it did.

Took the second gauge cluster apart, removed the sppedometer, removed the trip odometer part, but the second one the wheels with the numbers wa all ******, so I had to figure out how to get the rod out so I could swap the numbered wheels from the second one to the original one. I figured that out and did it, re-installed the trip odometer to the speedometer, put the speedo back into the cluster, put the cluster back together, put it in the car, re--assembled the dash, re-iinstalled the steering wheel, took it for a test drive, all good, so I thought !!!!

Next day ( yesterday) I'm driving to work and notice the speedo says I'm doing 90, no F---ing way, so I use the GPS speedometer on my I-phone to check it, YUP the speedometer was 11 MPH over !

Just now, take the whole dash apart again, ( just what needed to be taken apart to get the cluster out I meant), pull the steering wheel, blah, blah, blah, take the cluster apart, bring the speedo needle up to 26 MPH, Hold it there firmly and lower the needle down to 15 MPH, that should be the 11 MPH difference, put just the speedo, no cluster back in the car, start to go for a test drive, speedo is not working at all, guess it has to be in the cluster cause power goes to it, go back home, take the speedo out and the little plastic end of the speedometer cable comes OUT WITH IT !!!! AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!!! Said a few choice words and than removed the speedometer cable in 2 halves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have to find the cable which I think is a dealer item only, that's where I got it from when I replaced it in 2004 after buying this car , I bet it's not $35 any more either !!!!

CRAP !!! talk about a price increase !!! Online dealer for this cable NOW MSRP $ 137.83 online price $101.31 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Junkyard here I come !!!!

Edited by ahardb0dy

At least you have two vehicles to choose from. The "pull a part" in my town is always lacking R50's. In fact, they never have Miata's or Jeep CJ's either. I'm guessing that people that own those know that they can part them out due to the popularity.

I adjusted it yesterday before the cable broke, was getting ready to go for a drive to see if it was adjusted right, it's probably not 100% accurate, I'm using an app on my I phone to see the speed. Actually I used 2 different Apps and both were saying the same 11 MPH over, now it's perfect.