GEN Y

andreus009

Came across this and thought it was very apt. If it offends anyone, well I'm sorry but I have worked to get where I'm at and it really burns my keister when people expect everything to be practically handed to them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-but-why/generation-y-unhappy_b_3930620.html

I find that silly and untrue for most of it. Some kids get handed jobs and @!*% from their high class parents. Others have to work hard and earn where they want to be. I don't like my current job. But I keep applying for more jobs as time goes on. Hoping to step up to the next.

I don't see how we are looked down upon for the time/way we were born and raised. All just seems to judgemental...

I haz more to say but I think I'll just be quiet now..... :)

• Like 1

As a general stereotype, I'd say that article is pretty accurate. Unfortunate, but accurate...

Yes, the common concensus is that after getting a degree, you'll get a job making 6 figures. Sure, maybe the top 1% of the class in a serious dicipline! :rolleyes:

As a Gen Xer, I've busted my hump almost all my life and I don't mind. I consider myself fortunate to have what I do (house, wife, toys, etc) but I also know that no one gave them to me.

So what is the latest generation called, Generation Hipster Douche? :lol:

B

• Like 1

What offends me, is that we all get lumped into that category. I'm sorry I wasn't born in a better generation? I am not the average. I definitely was never told I was special LOL.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

I find that silly and untrue for most of it. Some kids get handed jobs and @!*% from their high class parents. Others have to work hard and earn where they want to be. I don't like my current job. But I keep applying for more jobs as time goes on. Hoping to step up to the next.

I don't see how we are looked down upon for the time/way we were born and raised. All just seems to judgemental...

I haz more to say but I think I'll just be quiet now..... :)

Please see below.

GYPSYs Are Delusional

"Sure," Kyle has been taught, "everyone will go and get themselves some fulfilling career, but I am unusually wonderful and as such, my career and life path will stand out amongst the crowd." So on top of the generation as a whole having the bold goal of a flowery career lawn, each individual GYPSY thinks that he or she is destined for something even better --

A shiny unicorn on top of the flowery lawn.

born between the late 70s and early 90s? couldn't they just have said the 80's? :lol: Does that article offend me as I technically of the timeline of being 'born into it'? No but I work hard every day to get what I have (and DO have some family and friends that are awesome as well, which includes here on NPORA). Only thing I was born into was a job, not an easy ride and a self righteous and deserved attitude.

Though I did enjoy that there were unicorns in the article :aok:

Being a gen X Y cusp apparently, I've got a question. Isn't this how every previous generation has viewed its successor? With as much change as the last 100 years have brought, there's bound to be a disparity in expectation. I grew up with a rotary telephone and a typewriter. Now I'm frustrated when Netflix has a different menu on my tablet than the Wii.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm lumped into this as part of what the articles my mom reads calls the 'millenials.' :suicide:

Defining people by when they were born is just pandering to old people who don't understand what their kids are doing and want a pre-packaged explanation of what's wrong with the world. It's about as accurate as defining people by race or by where they live, and it gives you a flawed view of the world. It's sort of like saying that everyone in the 70s loved disco, and all goth kids are satanists.

And yeah, you do run into some entitled idiots who believed their high school counselors and got a big heap of "you're special" from their parents. You hear about people who can't talk because of tongue rings and feel like they've been unfairly discriminated against at job interviews. There are people that stupid (and lots of 'em), but it's not because they're part of one generation or another, it's because their parents failed.

This kind of stuff sells magazines and gives old people something to worry about, but that's about as far as it goes IMO.

• Like 1

Right on brother!

as a gen y I've done lots of jobs over the years, I've been homeless and I've traveled. I figured out years ago that the secret to happiness is Lowered Expectations! that way you can always attain your goals.

I've got a great job (I fix and sell bicycles) that I've been doing for 11years ,it never gets old. I'm newly married to a wonderful and beautiful woman, I have a great dog and a nice little home (470 sq ft) to live in. and I own a great old truck. and I'm into week 3 of a 5 week vacation! how can life be any better than that!

I've worked real hard for it but I do my own thing and never try and "keep up with the Jones's"

I recognize any generalization such as this is a broad brush and not 100% accurate. No generalization is...just the same as the hippies were generalized. However, there is just a general increase of self entitlement in the air from the time I graduated high school to now. Hell, the people protesting for $15/hr minimum wage is a clear example. Any realist isn't going to support such movement knowing the impact on the whole financial system (if implemented) would be disaster. No one likes starting at the bottom but if you have the motivation, knowledge, drive and skills you move up because of your own merit. We can't all be super models, movie stars, NFL players, & etc. Someone has to do real work that makes things happen and gets things done.

In general, the people on this forum are DIY so by default generally already more motivated then a lot of average joes/janes.

If you think this is just one 'old' persons rantings/ravings. Look around and look at the number of tweens & teens with iphones, and brand new cars. Now compare this to the time you were the same age. More more kids are just handed stuff to make them happy/compliant...so less less of them understand the reward of working for something. Is this 100% accurate statement. No! Is it trend...certainly seems that way from what I see and hear on a day to day basis.

Edited by andreus009

Agreed, it is a broad generalization of an entire generation so of course there are going to be all sorts of exceptions. That things have and do change by generation is a fact, supported by everything from statistics to polls of the generation's members themselves. It isn't always a bad thing and it can be simply adapting to societies and technologies changes, but it is undeniable. It also isn't about blaming things on the Gen Yers either. That would be rediculous, they haven't been around long enough to make a significant impact yet (other than in marketing arenas).

I could give many examples that I have read on this forum of the shift in attitude, but I can hear the complaining already so I won't. I will leave you with one thing to remember though...

potentialdemotivator.jpg

B

I just ran across an article going the other direction and to be fair, I thought that I should post it.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/09/generation-y-millennials-entitled-poor

I feel compelled to share that I was broke during my 20's as well and got by by living in illegal studios and driving $1k cars. I'd have student debt (not as much admittedly) but I decided not to get a loan which is why I don't have a degree. I learned a trade and made it count so far. The real estate market got up and ran away from me but I saved, and when it crashed I bought an acceptable home. Life is pretty good now, but it took a lot of work and sacrifice. It takes a long time to build everything up (experience included) to where you have security, reserves, etc and markets are unpredictable. :shrug:

Things my dad said:

Life is backwards. When you are young with all the energy, time and interest, you can't do a lot because you don't have any money. When you are old, you don't have the energy, time or interest...

They should give you all your $ in the begining and let you do what you wish. You are done when the $ is gone...

I'm glad I'm an old man, I wouldn't want to try to do it over now!

B

I enjoyed reading this article, because I think it hits on something I've long thought - the "movie star" mentality. I'm an early Gen Y/ late Gen X (born in 79) so I kind of cross over, but I've noticed among people my age and slightly younger a perception of themselves as the star of their own television show or movie. Maybe because many of us were the first generation of children raised where television - particularly cable - was ubiquitous in every household and a large segment of parents allowed television to "babysit." Also we were the first generation to be primarily latchkey kids, with both parents working. But at the same time, I remember having a rotary phone, bunny ears, and not even imagining a remote control. Conversely, we had a home computer before I was 10, and cable. A lot of things changed, and changed very quickly at that.