IFS issues... Broke my first cv shaft!

cvdloc

image-43.jpg

Out enjoying the beautiful day (34 degrees) at the sandpits, with my friend in the Cherokee. Everything was fine, did lots of steep hill climbs, but there was one... 70' gentle 's' with a steep v shaped end, failed once then the heep did it twice (lifted 4.5" roughcrap (country)) so I gave her, mistake, picked passenger side went up an over the hump and snap... But still made it! Lol that's the only positive (btw all in 4lo)

image-42.jpg

I disengaged 4 wheel went back into 2hi and drove home 5km slowly and quickly asked my sister to borrow her sunfire for work tomorrow since I don't want to get into this in the dark and I want to do my research...

Now I never had this issue before, I have done a little searching but nothing to really claim I tried, so for get on my case this isn't a how do thread but any tips would be nice :lol: i know i need a special tool, something like a 12 star socket? Is there an 'easy way' to remove the shaft I have to find a replacement I just want it to be road worthy for the mean time. And with your guys experience is it worth it to go chromolies or whatever now? Planning an sas in a year but I do lot of wheeling what is the cost difference, and typical base price for one cv shaft. Maybe I can get a deal ;) 87 nissan hardbody hustler 27 spline the z24 engine if that means anything and manual trans.

Anyways feel free to make fun of me. I know I have been cursing this ifs so maybe it's karma if you believe in it. Maybe add your broken cv shaft stories, it will make me feel better :lol:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?/topic/255-Installing-New-CV-Axles<br /><br /><br />Its not really that bad, thread above covers most. Might want to start spraying your favorite penetrating oil ASAP to help with any possible stuck bolts. <br /><br />As far as I know, nobody makes a aftermarket, stronger CV axle.
  • Like 1

I destroyed a cage and replaced mine. no special tools required. Normal sockets will fit those bolts

Excellent, I'm going to try and tackle it tonight, stopping by napa on the way home (I do get a discount) and if they have it in stock I might see if I can get it replaced tonight :)

But if it takes some time, can I just take it out and leave it cover up the end and still drive? Will that be safe, obs no 4wd

there needs to be something in the hub part, if that's what you're asking. I've heard and read about wheel bearings getting messed up when there's not a cv shaft in there.

Otherwise you could just cover up the broken shaft/boot and roll around.

there needs to be something in the hub part, if that's what you're asking. I've heard and read about wheel bearings getting messed up when there's not a cv shaft in there.

Otherwise you could just cover up the broken shaft/boot and roll around.

Well luckily they had it in (napa) so I ended up grabbing it with some brake pads since I was planning to do them next weekend, wheel is off why not. I got a nice little discount too which I'm glad :)

Cv shaft reg. $224.94 net. $138.45

Front pads reg. $52.76 net. $35.66

What did you guys pay?

Damn, I'm glad I only paid 138$ it I see the ones that were 50-65$ but I'd have to pay 50$ for shipping and I have to wait a week, it is a bit of a priority so I took the quickest route, but damn I really got to look online better, that's twice I could have saved money instead of taking the quick route out. Plus it might be American pricing I don't know... I'm up here in the great white north and land of expensive shipping :lol:

Edited by cvdloc

I ordered one from Rock auto, they shipped it in the retail box it comes in. By the time it reached me, the end cap holding the grease was blown off, and then Rock auto argued with me like it was my problem. Went to Napa, paid 60 for a reman with a lifetime warranty.

I ordered mine on a Monday and had it on Wednesday and didn't pay for expedited delivery. Not sure where their warehouses are but there must be one fairly close to me since all of my orders have been delivered within a day or two. Oh well... as long as your happy with your purchase.

Damn, I'm glad I only paid 138$ it I see the ones that were 50-65$ but I'd have to pay 50$ for shipping and I have to wait a week, it is a bit of a priority so I took the quickest route, but damn I really got to look online better, that's twice I could have saved money instead of taking the quick route out. Plus it might be American pricing I don't know... I'm up here in the great white north and land of expensive shipping :lol:

Even more nuts is the price difference between the canadian napa and the us one.

I ordered one from Rock auto, they shipped it in the retail box it comes in. By the time it reached me, the end cap holding the grease was blown off, and then Rock auto argued with me like it was my problem. Went to Napa, paid 60 for a reman with a lifetime warranty.

The same thing happened to me, I emailed them pictures, they responded the next day saying "a new one is on the way, feel free to dispose of that one"

I was able to fix the broken one eventually, so I have a spare now.

Even more nuts is the price difference between the canadian napa and the us one.

It's all that duty bull @&#33;*%, hell I think I need to find a friend in north west Washington, anyone interested :)

Members map won't work on my iPhone or tablet :( don't own a computer, maybe ill throw up a thread in the northwest section..

Anywho I'm half way threw just about to bolt everything back together, I wish I could say things went smoothly but they didn't.. PO used a nail in the ball joint bolt so it took about 45 min to get that b!tch out and then once i got the nut off i took a look at the threads...

image-44.jpg

Plus the bolt is fudged too, so that is technically supposed to get replaced but im under budget so im going to make it work (luckily i can put a pin into it ;) then I snapped 1 out of 4 bolts for my upper link but I'm not concerning myself with that right now even if I leave it for a night it isn't going to fall off with one less bolt I just need the right tools that I don't have access to at this moment.. Anyways here is a side by side of the Cvs..

image-45.jpg

Well time to get this done!

Members map won't work on my iPhone or tablet :( don't own a computer, maybe ill throw up a thread in the northwest section..

Anywho I'm half way threw just about to bolt everything back together, I wish I could say things went smoothly but they didn't.. PO used a nail in the ball joint bolt so it took about 45 min to get that b!tch out and then once i got the nut off i took a look at the threads...

image-44.jpg

Plus the bolt is fudged too, so that is technically supposed to get replaced but im under budget so im going to make it work (luckily i can put a pin into it ;) then I snapped 1 out of 4 bolts for my upper link but I'm not concerning myself with that right now even if I leave it for a night it isn't going to fall off with one less bolt I just need the right tools that I don't have access to at this moment.. Anyways here is a side by side of the Cvs..

image-45.jpg

Well time to get this done!

How about getting a P.O. box in Blaine? Maybe run an add in the Blaine Gazette (whatever) and get a deliverable address?

Is that one of those lifetime warranty NAPA axles? lol

Yes r180 the shafts are 27 spline because its a 87' because the shaft went and not the joint, it was a torque issue. 4lo magnified it plus I was alrighty on about 30 degree angle going up an almost vertical hump and pinned her to win her and I broke her :lol: honestly wasn't surprised I have been pushing this beast it just kind of sucked lol

That's not a bad idea, from being less than a 30 min drive to the boarder, a po box isn't a bad idea, could always share it among my wheeling buddies and family and I don't know if it's life time lol would be nice could always take them up on it if it goes again ;)

Anyways here is an update, last night I was trying to do things differently then the book, if you can't tell it didn't work. Because on removal I couldn't spin the cv axle to get access to the bolts I left that until last so apon installation I bolted it to the axle then tried to slide the rest of the assembly on... Don't do this, after lots of swear words and a second look at the instructions I decided to wait until morning to finish it. Jumped on it about noon today, went in surprisingly fast lol (look what happens when you follow instructions, everything fell into place nicely. As for the steering nut I swapped out one with threads from my pathy, but it looked like someone hammered the end of the bolt so I couldn't get the nut on. Grinded away at it to get ride of the bulge and it went on nicely. As for the broken bolt on the upper link, I have left it for now, I went to steal one off of the pathy and realized there was only 3 :lol: I have been driving on that for 2 years so I'm pretty sure it won't cause any damage, anywho the bolts off the pathy are too long so either a trip to the wreckers or order a couple. But that will be for another day..

Total time is about 7 hours after fudging with other issues and all solo, except I had my dad give me a quick hand working the jack when I put on the upper link bolts. All in all, I will do this again if I need too it wasn't bad at all just took some time the first go, but I'm sure next time I can atlease cut the time in half. Just follow the instructions, lol they are their for a reason :lol: