help once again with a knock problem....

Whitebrick

For those who my have seen my last post a few months ago I had a knock code on the old pathfinder.

Let me first lest all the crap that i have done to fix the damn thing.

1. new knock sensor (and in the right place not relocated on the top or whatever) $120

2. all new fuel injectors $450

3. took the MSD box out

4. timing is back to 14 degrees (have also played around with it and took it back to 10 degrees just to see if it would go a way but still would hear it.)

5. new speed sensor. $125 (only because it was throwing a code for it and i was thinking that it may have a issue with everything going on)

6. have changed different grades of gas from midd to high octane as well as different brands of gas. (around my area valero and shell.)

7. new cat (only because i gutted the old one only to find out it throws a egr code and smell like a old 70s hot rod but with lack of power.) $98.00

Alright now as it sits and have been for about a month now i have been running 93 octane. I have no codes right now and haven't with all the crap i have changed. 55. It drives with no problems idles better than it has ever been. However when im in second going to third gear around 2600 rpms you can hear like a air hammer hitting the side of the block. then once in third you will hear it again around 28 to 3000 rpms. thats the only time i hear it but i shift by then due to the fact that i know its doing something destructive. in first nothing fourth and fifth gear i hear nothing.

I really thought i had it fixed the first round with changing the knock sensor but due to work and moving i havent had time to post this. the only thing i have been doing is fixing the codes that it was showing and doing what i know form experience with cars.

one more thing it has new plugs wires cap rotor. there all about four or five months old. This has all stared about mid June. Right now its sitting with 243000 miles and i am beyond anal with this truck so i have kept up with everything from oil tune ups timing you name it. It has either been changed or fixed.

Thank you for your help and time.

You mention it happens are you got from gear to gear. As you sure this is not a manual transmission issue from coming from the front of the bellhousing of the transmssion instead or possibly a leaky manifold backfire?

No need to run 93 octanein these trucks, the ECU is mapped for 87 and nothing else. Using 93 doesnt get you anything more than $$ out the tailpipe.

• 2 weeks later...

You mention it happens are you got from gear to gear. As you sure this is not a manual transmission issue from coming from the front of the bellhousing of the transmssion instead or possibly a leaky manifold backfire?

No need to run 93 octanein these trucks, the ECU is mapped for 87 and nothing else. Using 93 doesnt get you anything more than $$ out the tailpipe.

good to know good to know :clap:

Sounds to me like you have a rod knock. Make sure you don't have any vacuum lines crossed. Also a bad plug wire or cracked spark plug could be causing the issue. They make a hell of a 'snapping' sound if it's finding ground before the cylinder.