Is this racism or socio-cultural protection ?

maikan

Province of Quebec want to ban any religious sign ( hijab, niquab, burka, big cross, kippa, kirpan, etc...) to members of

the public system ( schools, transport ministry, hospitals, etc ...)

So can't wear you big cross to work, neither your hijab around your head. They say they won't back down

when religious group will asked about accomodations for things like public pool only for women, no helmets for motorcyclist wearing turban or those on construction sites or else.

Not that this was asked quite often, but they want to clarify that for all those immigrants that come here with strong religious beliefs.

What do you think ? Is it racism to ban those with visible riligious sign to work in the public system, or the state

really should be neutral, witout any sign from its members to be identified to religious group.

Wow thats really Weird.I myself being IRISH and a roman catholic always wear a gold crucifix around my neck.And when younger never was without my SAINT CHRISTOPHER medal.I think the state should be neutral.I still remember in grade school when we recited the pledge of allegiance.Then the powers that be decided ONE NATION UNDER GOD was just to religious so they banned it in public schools.So my parents enrolled me in yep you guessed it CATHOLIC SCHOOL. jOHN JOSEPH AZZO I have 4 older brothers and a sister too mark, peter,luke,michael,and of course my sister theresa.Yes my parents named us from a bible.At least I got john the baptist.

• Like 1

i think it`s about time quebec does something like this... there has been way too many free pass concerning religion... Sincerely, the world would be better if religion was kept personal and not public...

try walking with your girlfriend in a swimsuit in IRAK and see how they take care of you.... but you can`t ask them to show you their faces when they go vote in here...

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 3

I'm going to stay clear from this one. I wish to remain friends with everybody. :)

Same here, Quebec is going south, it's one thing after another I remember 2-3 months ago they banned turbans in soccer, they got banned from entering any Canadian tournament, not sure how that turned out but you get the picture

Guest Mrs.Azzo

People need to Lighten Up!Learn not to take everything so serious.The World Is What U Make It!So Do Your Part To Make It Good! And Fun And Ditch All The Doom And Gloom. J.M.O.

Edited by Mrs.Azzo
  • Like 1

Turbans were re accepted in soccer if they take out the piece of metal holding the hair inside

the turban and wrap it in a kind of protective material I think.

It's a touchy subject for sure, but we ll have to talk about in Qc to see if its the right thing or not.

Democraty meaning is about that.

Sincerely, the world would be better if religion was kept personal and not public...

I could not agree more.

Keep your religion to yourself, no one else cares, nor should they, nor should anyone get any exceptions for their personal belief because that is all religion is.

The trend of saying 'God Bless' for everything drives me nuts. Stop it, it is ignorant and presumptious. My reply is usually, "Which one?" to remind them that not everyone believes the same thing or "I don't believe in your god" which is absolutely true.

I have no issue with other people having their beliefs, but keep it to yourself. I won't go into the morons who ring your door bell and regurgitate drivel at you.I often ask them if their religion allows pre-marital sex. If they say yes, I invite them in for a drink with a wink, if they say no, I say 'Too bad, I'm pretty horny right now' and shut the door. This works on men and women equally well. ;)

B

• Like 3

People need to Lighten Up!Learn not to take everything so serious.The World Is What U Make It!So Do Your Part To Make It Good! And Fun And Ditch All The Doom And Gloom. J.M.O.

And this, ma'am, just earned you one DVW approved "like". :aok:

... I won't go into the morons who ring your door bell and regurgitate drivel at you.I often ask them if their religion allows pre-marital sex. If they say yes, I invite them in for a drink with a wink, if they say no, I say 'Too bad, I'm pretty horny right now' and shut the door. This works on men and women equally well. ;)

B

:rofl: I don't get those as I live out in the country. Makes me kind of wish I was a city slicker!

Guest Mrs.Azzo

I could not agree more.

Keep your religion to yourself, no one else cares, nor should they, nor should anyone get any exceptions for their personal belief because that is all religion is.

The trend of saying 'God Bless' for everything drives me nuts. Stop it, it is ignorant and presumptious. My reply is usually, "Which one?" to remind them that not everyone believes the same thing or "I don't believe in your god" which is absolutely true.

I have no issue with other people having their beliefs, but keep it to yourself. I won't go into the morons who ring your door bell and regurgitate drivel at you.I often ask them if their religion allows pre-marital sex. If they say yes, I invite them in for a drink with a wink, if they say no, I say 'Too bad, I'm pretty horny right now' and shut the door. This works on men and women equally well. ;)

B

I tell them-while standing there half dressed,That the Devil comes in many forms and I'm one of them. They usually run after that. :lol:

Edited by Mrs.Azzo

I dont practice religion anymore after I served I kind of lost my faith and I had enough shoved down my throat attending parochial school.Tis better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven.Milton, paradise lost.I only wear a cross around my neck cause One it's solid gold and two my MOM's gave it to me.

It's getting pretty bad everywhere, down here at my Job (county), If you have a tattoo and some one finds it offensive or something like that you have to cover it up, also if you have a confederate flag bumper sticker they can make you take it off.

Guest Mrs.Azzo

It's getting pretty bad everywhere, down here at my Job (county), If you have a tattoo and some one finds it offensive or something like that you have to cover it up, also if you have a confederate flag bumper sticker they can make you take it off.

That's BS!

I am not a racist and I don't hate any particular person, people, religion, creed or sexual orientation. In my job I deal directly with many undocumented migrant workers whom *I* depend on for them to keep THEIR jobs so I can keep mine. I've dated black girls before and think Astrid Farnsworth from Fringe is freakin HOT. I spent 6 months in Kuwait working for KBR and had many Arabic, Kuwaiti and Indian friends there. I ate with them and drank with them, and did business, you know when you visit a gold dealer in the market and he recognizes you as a friend, it's customary to do the kiss kiss thing on both cheeks, been there, done that..no biggie. So when you're reading my post don't be so quick to offhandedly cast me as some intolerant bigot, because I've got a brain and I'm not afraid to use it.

I'm not really sure on how I fall down on the whole Public Display of Religion thing (I've got a few thoughts regarding the one sided attack of Christianity in the U.S. however) but the thing that interests me the most about these policies that Canada is apparently now implementing is that it seems to be all emcompassing. You say that ALL symbols of religion / religious affects are banned? So it's not just the Christians but everyone else as well, that for me alteast lends some measure of merit to the policy (I totally disagree with it BUT it seems to be on an even keel).

In the states we're terrified of offending any other religion than the Christians, it's okay to take Christmas out of everything, it's a Holiday Tree now, or Happy Holidays...hmm..which random Holidays are these that your wishing me well for? But ofcourse the Muslim cab drivers can have their foot wash stations in the airports, and the women are allowed to go into banks totally disguised in their burqa because they must not be disturbed and told to leave oh just because all you can barely see of them is their eyes. Uh huh, sure.

And lets not forget Kwanzaa while we're at it, Happy Kwanzaa everyone! Just don't let me hear you say Merry ______*mas*! Kwanzaa isn't even based in any worship of any Deity but a way that black Americans can oh, I don't know, some how have their own celebration for civil rights, you know just by them selves....doesn't that sound familiar? Anyone else think it's ironic that they remove themselves from the rest of society, ahem, to celebrate the very integration INTO society?!?

Someone explain to me why it's okay to put a wood carving image of a crucified Christ into a jar of piss so that communists and haters of our country (that was founded so that people could live as free spiritual beings) can observe it and call it Art, and yet it's wrong to tell a young muslim girl in highschool she can't wear her head scarf, because you know, it's a part of her custom and religion...see..don't want to upset that.

If I have offended anyone, I do not apologize for that offense, I ask only that you read again my post very carefully and give yourself some time to recover from your knee jerk reaction and then fact check me. Everything I have stated here is my own personal opinion which is based 100 % well within fact. If at that point you still cannot reconcile with me, then at that point I am sorry for you, and wish you well.

Guest Mrs.Azzo

I am not a racist and I don't hate any particular person, people, religion, creed or sexual orientation. In my job I deal directly with many undocumented migrant workers whom *I* depend on for them to keep THEIR jobs so I can keep mine. I've dated black girls before and think Astrid Farnsworth from Fringe is freakin HOT. I spent 6 months in Kuwait working for KBR and had many Arabic, Kuwaiti and Indian friends there. I ate with them and drank with them, and did business, you know when you visit a gold dealer in the market and he recognizes you as a friend, it's customary to do the kiss kiss thing on both cheeks, been there, done that..no biggie. So when you're reading my post don't be so quick to offhandedly cast me as some intolerant bigot, because I've got a brain and I'm not afraid to use it.

I'm not really sure on how I fall down on the whole Public Display of Religion thing (I've got a few thoughts regarding the one sided attack of Christianity in the U.S. however) but the thing that interests me the most about these policies that Canada is apparently now implementing is that it seems to be all emcompassing. You say that ALL symbols of religion / religious affects are banned? So it's not just the Christians but everyone else as well, that for me alteast lends some measure of merit to the policy (I totally disagree with it BUT it seems to be on an even keel).

In the states we're terrified of offending any other religion than the Christians, it's okay to take Christmas out of everything, it's a Holiday Tree now, or Happy Holidays...hmm..which random Holidays are these that your wishing me well for? But ofcourse the Muslim cab drivers can have their foot wash stations in the airports, and the women are allowed to go into banks totally disguised in their burqa because they must not be disturbed and told to leave oh just because all you can barely see of them is their eyes. Uh huh, sure.

And lets not forget Kwanzaa while we're at it, Happy Kwanzaa everyone! Just don't let me hear you say Merry ______*mas*! Kwanzaa isn't even based in any worship of any Deity but a way that black Americans can oh, I don't know, some how have their own celebration for civil rights, you know just by them selves....doesn't that sound familiar? Anyone else think it's ironic that they remove themselves from the rest of society, ahem, to celebrate the very integration INTO society?!?

Someone explain to me why it's okay to put a wood carving image of a crucified Christ into a jar of piss so that communists and haters of our country (that was founded so that people could live as free spiritual beings) can observe it and call it Art, and yet it's wrong to tell a young muslim girl in highschool she can't wear her head scarf, because you know, it's a part of her custom and religion...see..don't want to upset that.

If I have offended anyone, I do not apologize for that offense, I ask only that you read again my post very carefully and give yourself some time to recover from your knee jerk reaction and then fact check me. Everything I have stated here is my own personal opinion which is based 100 % well within fact. If at that point you still cannot reconcile with me, then at that point I am sorry for you, and wish you well.

I have no problem with this.U r entitled to your opinion. :)

Religion topics NEVER go down well on a forum, this topic best be locked before it gets any more heated and causes too much conflict between members. I'm going to assume you haven't read the forum guidelines yet so I have linked this post to it.

Thanks Leo... :aok:

Leo94 is right, it is right there in the guidelines. Although neither of these two topics are expressly against the rules, they are heavily advised against, because as stated above religion and political discussions do not flow well on internet forums, especially on forums that have nothing to do with either of these subjects. This has been proven more than a few times in the past here at NPORA.

Now although we do not make it a habit to lock threads as soon as they are created, we do monitor them closely. We have locked most, if not all of them in the past when things started to head south, because they almost always do. As such, this one will also be shut down if/when things start to head in the wrong direction.

Keeping it clean and civil will allow the thread to live longer.

Oh and now's a good time to remind people to review the NPORA Guidlines

:beer:

It is perfectly civil so far. Any one who knows me knows I'm perfectly content to give enough rope to hang, and so far there have been no takers.

It isn't like we can't talk about such things, just not get carried away... ;)

B

Keep in mind this is just Quebec. These rules don't affect the rest of Canada. That's all I'm going to say as I rather not start any arguments from either side.

Keep in mind this is just Quebec. These rules don't affect the rest of Canada. That's all I'm going to say as I rather not start any arguments from either side.

Hahah yes! Honestly, coming from a fellow Canadian, Quebec is pushing it, good or bad you deside, they have an argument behind their 'decisions', they are a wannabe rebel, that guy in your class or work force that pushes boarders tells those nasty 'racey' jokes :lol: atlease this is what I'm getting out of this, otherwise I couldn't give a poop, just don't let it effect me lol (I guess now I can't wear my metal satanic pentagram shirt in Quebec... :lol: )

• Like 1

I realize this can be upsetting and I always forget my rediculous propencity for running off on a wild tangent, therefore from here on, my lips are sealed regarding all this. I won't be that guy that continues to go on beating on everyone else about the same old thing. Please allow me to carefully step down off my ten foot tall soap box now!