95 Pathy gas leak around tank

PamPoovey

I had some downtime yesterday at work and was looking through the Haynes book -and I see there are 4 hoses, plus a plug. Now what I want to know, once I get the gas tank cover off the truck, will these hoses be easily accessible or is there an easier place to access them without removing the tank? The leak looks slight. I'm assuming based on age, and that I used to live in super hot Las Vegas for most of my Pathy's life, that it's something rubber that is leaking... I just won't have help with such repair if it requires removing the tank....

My 99.5 has an access panel located under the carpet under the back seat (driver side). I'm pretty sure the WD21 has the same design. I've never removed the panel but, I do know that the pump assembly is accessible with out dropping the gas tank. Just fold the seat forward and remove the panel to inspect the hoses? :shrug:

My 99.5 has an access panel located under the carpet under the back seat (driver side). I'm pretty sure the WD21 has the same design. I've never removed the panel but, I do know that the pump assembly is accessible with out dropping the gas tank. Just fold the seat forward and remove the panel to inspect the hoses? :shrug:

Yes there is on wd21, same location in the back under the carpet. With my experiences most gas tanks are rusted on, without wd45 on the Bolts and feness, you will be snapping them, make sure this is your last resort. Within a month of getting my pathy (2-3 years ago) then fuel pump went, with the lack of npora and knowledge to my pathy I took it to Canadian tire, 1800$ later with 100% new fuel lines (gas tank pump lines filter everything) They bent me over and f...Ed me. Let me tell you once I figured out their was an access hatch in the rear, I blew up at them and wrote bad reviews on every site I could while sending emails out to management nothing came out of it but unless you want some high school student working on your truck, never go there lol well there is my morning rant.. Good luck with it :)

Once you remove the access panel you will be able to see all the hoses. <br /><br />My gas tank looked like it had a leak up there, turned out to be a small pinhole leak at a spot weld on the bottom of the tank. It was easily spotted once I removed the gas tank protector. Few others have had the same leak.

I hope there is more room to get to the hoses than there is on my 90 sentra, when I pulled the fuel pump (after saying I was going to for a year !!) to check the fuel level sender there was just enough room to grab the hoses with a pliers to get them back on the metal nipples when I put the fuel pump back in.

If there turns out to be a leak in the metal of the tank, I had good luck with that 2 part gas tank sealer putty, years ago in my hardbody half of one of the rear add-a-leaf springs broke and fell out, putting a hole in the side of my gas tank, friend told me about that putty, I put it on and never had another problem with it leaking.

Edited by ahardb0dy

+1 on the tank bolts being a PITA. I busted two of the four that hold the skid on (both back ones) through a combination of frustration, corroded threads, what looked like old locktite, the three foot cheater bar I put on my ratchet, and the fact that I couldn't keep the ratchet square on the bolt.

I haven't found the leak on mine yet. The underside looks just fine. I put some superglue around the breather tube coming out the top of the tank, and this seems to have cut the smell a little... when this tank's empty I'll drop it and get the bugger pressure tested.

If the tank leaks just buy another one, those patch things never seem to last. I got a tank on rockauto for around 100 bucks...And it even came with new screws and a seal for the sending unit.

If the tank leaks just buy another one, those patch things never seem to last. I got a tank on rockauto for around 100 bucks...And it even came with new screws and a seal for the sending unit.

What size was it? I could only find 15 gallon ones aftermarket.

Crappy tire charged me 400$.... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu Canadian tire!!!

Same here. I just bought one for my Heep from Rockauto. Perfect match for the OEM tank.

Thank you for your encouraging advice!!! :) When I get downtime at work, I'll seeking out that hatch! So looking forward to resolving this!

I also own a 95 pathy the bolts on the cover under rear carpet are 10mm spray with pd blaster and removal should be easy.Same with the bolts holding gas tank and gas tank cover lots of pb blaster or some penetrant I to broke bolts off removing mine.Pathfinders have a welded seam that with time tends to spring a pin hole leak.Mine was on passenger side underside of gas tank.I first tried JB weld but it didnt take what worked was the two part gas tank epoxy sealer.Two years and still going strong and leak free.But also new tanks are around $100.00 bucks which ever you feel more comfortable with some people are funny about gasoline tanks.Good luck and keep us posted.

The leak more of a 1/2" tear I had in my hardbody tank lasted for years, probably still not leaking after I got rid of the truck with the 2 part gas tank product I used, I think if anyone has a small leak and it is easy to get too I would try the gas tank putty first before having to spend $130 or more to get a new tank, just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I have my new gas tank coming tomorrow. Preparing myself to swap them out, have a small leak on the bottom passenger side (I assume because there is a build up of wet sludge on the bottom that smells of gasoline..).

Guess I will probably want to spray the bolts for the skid plate and the tank with wd40 at least?

Will the fuel pump just hang there or should I prepare something(or have someone else there) to hold it up?

Besides the lock ring provided with the tank are there any other gaskets, or other things that I should probably replace?(I know I will find out for sure tomorrow :happy: )

• 3 months later...

Well it was pretty easy to install the new tank, and Ohhh Man is it nice to not be losing gas through a stupid little hole anymore the only thing that I had a problem with was the plastic check valve that thing annoyed the hell outta me...