1993 Pathfinder query

katxox

I have a 1993 Pathfinder that just quit driving one day. The motor runs fine but it will not shift into any gear. Auto parts store thinks it may be the tranny shift control module. I have NO idea where this is on the vehicle and I cannot find it on the internet. Any and all help would be great appreciated.

is it auto or manual? was there any problems before? was it a gradual thing? does reverse work?

it is an automatic. There were no problems with any gears before. No, it was not gradual, it was very sudden. I was slowing down and it came to a sudden stop and no, reverse does not work.

If Automatic, module should be on the pass. side behind the panel just in front of the rear wheel well.

on the inside of the vehicle near the pass. floorboard?

Thank you both SO much, I may be getting somewhere!

Have you checked the transmission fluid level and condition yet? Sounds like you're jumping the gun thinking it's an electrical problem.

1. Drive around for 10 minutes in the city after the transmission is at operating temperature. If you can't do this, follow steps 2-4 and ensure the fluid is within the "LOW" notched area.
2. Park on a level surface and apply the parking brake.
3. With P selected, shift through every gear and return to P.
4. Pull the transmission dipstick with the engine idling, wipe it clean, reinsert it completely, and read the level. It must be within the notched area labeled "HOT". Check for fluid contamination after wiping on a paper towel.
R50ATdipstick.png
The fluid should be red, and not smell burnt.
  • Like 1

I don't think it is.....

I hope its not. But these autotragics aren't known for being the most reliable thing in the world. The fact that it just died all at once might be a good sign. Normally you lose reverse, then its downhill from there.

If Automatic, module should be on the pass. side behind the panel just in front of the rear wheel well.

I'm still looking for the module. The only panel I see on the passenger side is below the glove box by the passenger side door jam and the only thing I saw in there was a black, cylindrical part. About as big around as a quarter and about 1 1/2 in. tall Am I looking in the right place? Or is the module going to be on the outside of the vehicle near the engine and passenger wheel well?

Sorry was not clear, I usually will post a diagram but I got that info from the 94 FSM and you have a 93,

You should download the 94 FSM under the garage section, I'm sure 95% of the info will be the same for your 93, well except for the dash, where yours is square and after 93 is the rounded style, but the mechanical parts should be about the same.

Sorry was not clear, I usually will post a diagram but I got that info from the 94 FSM and you have a 93,

You should download the 94 FSM under the garage section, I'm sure 95% of the info will be the same for your 93, well except for the dash, where yours is square and after 93 is the rounded style, but the mechanical parts should be about the same.

You were clear, I assumed it would be on the front of the vehicle and you did say rear. I apparently skipped over "rear" in your comment. I believe I have found it and very easily removed it. I've found one at a salvage yard for $10.00. It's worth a try.....

Simple stuff first. Make sure the transfer case didn't slip into neutral. I've had mine vibrate its way due to bad mounts. Maybe get someone under the vehicle to verify that the shift linkage isn't broken.

ok, what do I look for under the vehicle to see if the torque converter has shifted into neutral? Is this something I can do? I am more than willing to try if I know what to look for!

• 1 month later...

The torque converter is the fluid coupling between the engine and the trans. You cannot see it without removing the trans and wont be able to see anything wrong with it anyway since it is a sealed unit. Your best bet is to have your truck hauled to a good transmission shop and be ready to pay a couple grand to have it repaired.