Oil Consumption

Hey guys,

I've noticed Oil consumption has gone up dramatically in the last several months. I've been working the Pathy hard, carrying the Kayaks, offroading, going up Eisenhower tunnel alot - but we're talking from half a quart every 5,000 to a quart probably every 2000.

I'm running Mobil 1 10 30w, though I just threw a quart of 10-40 in there to see if helped.

I'm thinking PCV, or I shot the valve seals running it hot one day after a coolant hose blew (never hit the top line below H but got close)...any thoughts? Hows the PCV valve to replace? Truck runs fine otherwise.

Mike

Edited by Inyourface1650

Any blue smoke on start up or up grades? Does it leave any drips when parked? What does the under/backside look like?

You could have increased oil blow by slightly if it overheated, and no, the temp gauge isn't necessarily that accurate, it is mainly for reference AFAIC.

B

Any blue smoke on start up or up grades? Does it leave any drips when parked? What does the under/backside look like?

You could have increased oil blow by slightly if it overheated, and no, the temp gauge isn't necessarily that accurate, it is mainly for reference AFAIC.

B

it does leak a bit after I work it - AKA climb Eisenhower pass(11,000 foot pass) - basically 60MPH at 5500RPM for a looong time.... I will get a bit of a oil burning smell and some oil on the ground, but day to day, no it doesn't leak. I have seepage of course.. I have not noticed any smoke on Start up (tho I havent looked either) which does kill the whole Valve guides idea doesn't it.

HMMM.

Edited by Inyourface1650

Do it yourself. All you need to change it is a wrench and some needle nose pliers to get the spring clamp off. You can even use an adjustable wrench to loosen it. It's threaded into the passenger side of the intake manifold...

IMO you don't HAVE to use an oem one. I never did and mine is fine.

it does leak a bit after I work it - AKA climb Eisenhower pass(11,000 foot pass) - basically 60MPH at 5500RPM for a looong time.... I will get a bit of a oil burning smell and some oil on the ground, but day to day, no it doesn't leak. I have seepage of course.. I have not noticed any smoke on Start up (tho I havent looked either) which does kill the whole Valve guides idea doesn't it.

HMMM.

The PVC is cheap and easy ot check/replace so no harm there.

Go through and tighten your oil pan/valve covers as well. Get as many as you can but don't overtorque, just re-snug them. Wipe things down at the seams/drip points as best you can and see what happens then.

Heavier grade oil should help as well, 10-40 in summer at least?

B

HMMM.

I think I'd slow down to about 3500 to 4000 rpm, your working an older engine and building up pressure that the pvc can't handle all of it

Hell my wd21 used to only go 65-70 up a steep hill on the freeway, floored. And slowly lost speed. Haha. Running over 4 grand. :)

Not the case with a vg33 powered r50 on the same hill. ;)

Edited by Kyle94

Mine pushes 4k + up the one steep hill I routinely hit (and that's only a 45). From what I've read they'll go a little past 6k before they start to lose oil pressure, but of course that's assuming the seals/rings/etc are in good condition to begin with.