I need some advices about installing new springs - Ironman.

Darek

I just bought Ironman springs and I will be installing it soon. I have a spring compressor, the factory jack and two jack stands ;)

The first question is - are the springs symmetrical or is there left and right one? Secondly which side is up and down?

I know that there is special mark on stock springs which shows spring correct direction, but there is no such mark on Ironmans.

The next case is about rear spring replacing scenario. (I know how to deal with front as I saw it at shop)

As I read at different topics I imagine that scenario is as follows:

- jack up rear with jack under axle and support subframe on jack stands (lock front wheels with chops)

- support axle at one side with jack

- remove wheels, remove shock lower bolt, remove some brake line harness

- compress spring

- using the jack lower the axle and remove spring - be careful about not damaging brake lines

- install new spring, screw shock bolt and continue with second side.

Is this okay? Is there something I should know about disconnecting brake line harness?

sounds like you've got it.

there are no left and right but there is front and back.

the front ones have a taper (the top of the coil is smaller than the bottom) it only fits the strut one way.

I just bought Ironman springs and I will be installing it soon. I have a spring compressor, the factory jack and two jack stands ;)

The first question is - are the springs symmetrical or is there left and right one? Secondly which side is up and down?

I know that there is special mark on stock springs which shows spring correct direction, but there is no such mark on Ironmans.

The next case is about rear spring replacing scenario. (I know how to deal with front as I saw it at shop)

As I read at different topics I imagine that scenario is as follows:

- jack up rear with jack under axle and support subframe on jack stands (lock front wheels with chops)

- support axle at one side with jack

- remove wheels, remove shock lower bolt, remove some brake line harness

- compress spring

- using the jack lower the axle and remove spring - be careful about not damaging brake lines

- install new spring, screw shock bolt and continue with second side.

Is this okay? Is there something I should know about disconnecting brake line harness?

Brake line harness should be fine to just unbolt it, thats what i did. You can also unbolt the sway bar links if you want, this way you might not have to compress the springs as much or even at all. A few years ago I installed Old Man Emu springs without compressors doing exactly what your planning and unbolting the sway bar links.

Good luck, and lets see some pics once your done!

Sounds right.

You may have said this and I missed it, but I always compress one side and then install the spring compressor. Then, when you let it go to full droop most stock and 2" lift coils just fall out.

If you run in to trouble (like I did before I owned spring compressors), you can always remove the upper bumpstop. You just have to remember to place it back inside the new coil BEFORE placing it in position.

Just my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

I already installed the springs. It took me about one and half day and it wasn't too difficult.

My wife who sits at back seat says that the ride is much comfortable now. As for me I wouldn't say that the springs are very soft, I think they are just normal, similar to stock.

I am disappointed when it comes to the lift effect. These springs should give about +35 mm of lift.

First look at factory specification:

height.PNG

Now my figures (in centimetres). I measured it from the ground level to bottom of the plastic fender flare.

Before

Left Right

Front 82,5 82,5

Rear 79 79,5

After

Left Right

Front 82 82

Rear 86,6 87,4

Front is little lower than before lift (maybe tire pressure?) and still below the factory height.

Rear is close to the factory height but there is no additional +35 mm!

What do you think about it? I am afraid that they could go even lower when they settle after some time.

Edited by Darek

the back is higher. as for the front...that is why most of us also add strut spacers. I am in the middle of a 4 week trip loaded to the top with stuff,and after a break in period my Iron Man springs have not sagged lower than stock. in fact even loaded down with camping gear I am still higher than I was stock. and the ride quality is great. my question is did you replace youre struts and shock at the same time or did you just re-install the old ones.

• 2 weeks later...