i hate ball joints

johnyreb

I'm doing my lower right ball joint and i got it completely unbolted and loose then discovered what most of you already know and what i should've seen. the cv axle is in the way I've tried doing a search and turned up nothing so what is the best way to get past the cv axle

I don't see how the CV is in the way of the lower ball joint. The ball joint is bolted under the lower control arm so once you separate it from the knuckle and un bolt it from the arm it should come out. You may have to push the upper control arm down so you can lift the ball joint out of the knuckle.

When trying to lift it out of the knuckle it hits the axle. Ball joints don't last on my truck either! I put some cheap ones when I first got it that lasted 6k miles. Changed them out for the $80 moog problem solvers and they have slack after only 3k miles. I'm sure if they were easy to replace they would last forever!

James

it takes some prying and sliding of the front axle but I've recently done both lowers without taking the uppers off. IF I have to do it again, the entire spindle is coming off and I'll do the uppers as well.