Howdy

badfish

Hi everybody. I've been signed up for a while but haven't posted anything. I have found a lot of useful info on here, so thanks! I'm sure I'll be on here in the near future as I'm getting ready to start some mods.

• 3 weeks later...

I am replacing a lot of the front suspension and ran into a slight problem. I was removing the front (passenger side) lower control arm, to take the axle and ball joint out. In the process of removing the lower control arm I needed to remove the "rear" bracket with two bolts. I began loosening them and the bolt closer to the inside of the car just spins after something became loose. I used my mirror and saw that the bolt is attached to something on the other side of the bracket/frame. It looks like a nut but its completely round and has grooves running up and down all around it. Was this welded on to the frame? Or is this some kind of special nut. Either way it is extremely difficult to reach with any tool. Any ideas? I will attempt to take a picture but its a little hard to reach.

Welcome to NPORA !!

You removed the 2 bolts on the rear of the lower control arm, that attach the rod back through the bracket that is welded to the frame you said? That rod is called a tension rod, there should be a rubber bushing on the front and rear of the bracket welded to the frame, and there is a large nut on the back side of that bracket. It is hard to get a wrench on to that nut but can be done, a socket will not fit.

Take a pic of what you see if you can, it should be a regular nut as long as someone didn't mess it up.

Make sure you download the factory service manual it can be found under the garage section it's free.

Thanks

this is the tension rod with my worn out bushings:

1z6uwx3.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy