skid plates for R50

bushnut

Are there Nissan Factory skids available for the R50? were they available as an option? if so they may be found in a junk yard!

anybody know?

If not looks like it'll be custom fab or ordering from 4x4 designs.

Is that just the front piece?

Replaces the X looking brace under the plastic thing?

(Q is not here at the moment)

Did you use a break? I'm gonna tackle this I think I can build one like fleurys with the oil filter access point possibly. But let me know how you bent it to the proper angles

I had my local machine shop bend it for me. They had a huge 150 ton brake and the owner only charged me $20 to use it!

The oil access would be an easy addition. I decided against it and I only change my oil every 5k

Edited by SilverPath

From ExPo, and specifically Stioc.

Factory WD21 transfer case skid, which fits R50s, cost reportedly $25 (Bottom post) http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/82167-My-2001-Pathfinder-(R50-)-mild-budget-build/page40

Skid Plate Part # 30409-33G00
Bolts 2 x 33201-33G10
2 x 08121-0201E

Edited by Karmann
  • Like 1

Do you know if the dimensions for the front skid you made are the same for a WD21? Also, how long and wide is it? The only thing I was really worried about was getting the angles correct. I have access to a plasma cam and a brake, so that part is easy.

• 3 years later...

From ExPo, and specifically Stioc.

Factory WD21 transfer case skid, which fits R50s, cost reportedly $25 (Bottom post) http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/82167-My-2001-Pathfinder-(R50-)-mild-budget-build/page40

Skid Plate Part # 30409-33G00

Bolts 2 x 33201-33G10

2 x 08121-0201E

Would this work on an R50 with the auto-mode transfer case? I just got home with one from the junkyard and can't seem to find a way to get it on, but maybe I'm just missing something very obvious.

Would this work on an R50 with the auto-mode transfer case? I just got home with one from the junkyard and can't seem to find a way to get it on, but maybe I'm just missing something very obvious.

Doubtful. But on the bright side, that skid is NLA from Nissan, so might be able to upsell.

• Like 1

I'd consider buying from ya if it doesn't work out unless I can cop one from a local yard. I have a 99 pathfinder 5 speed 4x4. Unless its only for R51s

Edited by JimyJames

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2013 at 12:28 AM, SilverPath said:

Here is what you will need if you go custom

skid.jpg

I made this when I built mine.

P1000586.jpg

This is great stuff.  What's the width of the plate?  What's the thickness?  Is that steel or aluminum?

• Like 1

I find it really interesting that they didn't make skids for R50 - it was sold and used in the bush for multiple countries - maybe just not the US?

Do the sfcreations skids have oil changing access holes for the engine, trans,and transfer? that's a must for me.....most auto shops will lose/screw up anything that has to come off. My front plastic air dam only has two bolts holding it in heh

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Inyourface1650 said:

I find it really interesting that they didn't make skids for R50 - it was sold and used in the bush for multiple countries - maybe just not the US?

Do the sfcreations skids have oil changing access holes for the engine, trans,and transfer? that's a must for me.....most auto shops will lose/screw up anything that has to come off. My front plastic air dam only has two bolts holding it in heh

No we do not have them anymore. We used to have them in my first versions of the plates, but most customers were not willing to pay for the work involved.

Cheers.

S.

...skids have oil changing access holes for the engine, trans,and transfer? that's a must for me.....

Back in ‘02-‘05 ish that kind of stuff was around but that went away some time ago.

Access holes are handy even if doing you’re doing your own fluids.
  • Like 1

I like the idea of access holes, too, but I agree with fleurys that additional costs can be a tough sell. 

There’s a minor difference between the VG and VQ in terms of oil filter and drain plug locations, which means you’ve got to integrate larger openings to accommodate both engines, which means more labor and material to reinforce the openings.  And because of where the oil filter is, you practically need the front skid off to work on it.  Replace your drain plug with a Fujimoto valve and about 10” of tubing and you don’t even need to remove the mid skid, if so equipped.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AlabamaDan said:

This is great stuff.  What's the width of the plate?  What's the thickness?  Is that steel or aluminum?

The mounting surfaces only support about 24” width.  The body can go a bit wider, but judging by the pic I’d say it’s 24” uniform.  That’s the width on mine, too.  

12 hours ago, Inyourface1650 said:

Just another instance of the R50 bastard syndrome...no support. 

When I used to take my truck to get oil changes, the guys never removed anything...they just bent the plastic to down. For the longest time, I just thought it was a poor design for the plastic skid plate, always seeing it sagging down, then I realized it was laziness.  I started doing my own changes when I discovered that one of the jackasses ripped a nearby wire. 

Though, coming up with an access solution that doesn’t require any parts to be removed is pretty tough...need stuff like hinges, captive screws, latches, etc. Costs add up, and at least for skids of the nature discussed here, features like that become weak spots.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AlabamaDan said:

This front skid plate is just the bottom.  Do you think adding some sides makes it more effective, structurally stronger?

By "just the bottom" you mean the primary surface?  Adding sides bends would greatly improve structural integrity near the bend—the closer to 90° bends, the better—but any other flat parts of the plate are still prone to deflection.  Here's what that deflection looks like on 1/4" aluminum:

IMG-4836.jpg

I went to 3/16" steel, but I really wish I had the means to bend things.  In lieu of bends, the backside of my plate is ribbed with additional plate strips.

46 minutes ago, Smallpathy said:

Did you remove the x brace?

This thing?

544650w000.jpg?cb=1539705057

I'm not sure it came on 01+ trucks, though I'm certain it fits.  Nissan calls it an Engine Cradle Stay (54465-0W000, $15).  When I got my truck, it only had fleurys' front and mid skids on it (the original style with the access ports), so it's possible the previous owner removed it if it came with the truck.  Though, that brace is thin-walled tube and probably adds very little structurally, but I guess better than not having it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hawairish said:

By "just the bottom" you mean the primary surface?  Adding sides bends would greatly improve structural integrity near the bend—the closer to 90° bends, the better—but any other flat parts of the plate are still prone to deflection.  Here's what that deflection looks like on 1/4" aluminum:

IMG-4836.jpg

I went to 3/16" steel, but I really wish I had the means to bend things.  In lieu of bends, the backside of my plate is ribbed with additional plate strips.

Thanks so much.  More to file away for future mods!