Are Boss stereos any good?

matthew954

Hey guys, I've been off for a while due to work concerns, but I'm back lol.

I have a good question for everyone. I'm on a shoe string budget at the moment, and while I'm at work today at Goodwill. A Boss Audio 720A car stereo got donated. Still new in the box. I'm debating on whether to snag it. It's priced at 40 bucks. I'm finally about had it with the stock Bose system in my 03 Pathy. The thing skips now at any temperature below scorching hot. I'm damn near desperate for a good deal on a new stereo lol.

I was all prepared to joke about you leaving out the "e" in "Bose". In this case, you are much, MUCH better with the "no highs, just low's, must be Bose". Keep the factory radio. The fact that you posted this inquiry about this off brand product should indicate your concerns enough. Wait for a better trade in!

Thats what I was afraid of. I sort of thought as much, being that it was the first car stereo that got donated that was still new in its original packaging. I did just see 2 on Amazon I like:

http://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-Cupertino-Receiver-iPhone-Control/dp/B008FYF9L8/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1372474020&sr=1-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WX-GT90BT-Bluetooth-Remote-Pandora/dp/B00B74Z67K/ref=sr_1_5?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1372474241&sr=1-5

Either of those are nice replacements. What is it that you do not like about the factory system? :shrug:

The PO of my Pathy had a Sony deck with some very nice Rockford Fosgate separates up front (6.5" woofers in the kick panels and 1" tweets in the "A" pillars) and components (6.5" w/ integrated tweets) in the rear. I added a 10" Infinity sub to round out the sound stage. While I don't "turn any heads" in traffic, I enjoy my personal musical sound stage.

My speakers sound fantastic, I won't complain at all about them. But my problem lies in the head unit itself. I've found others having similar trouble that the head unit skips repeatedly. In my case its when its cool outside like early morning, and all winter lol. I've since given up and started using a cassette iPod adapter to listen to my music. But it doesn't sound as good, not to mention lots of wires all over the place. It's about the only real complaint I've had for my Pathy.

It's about the only real complaint I've had for my Pathy.

You are spoiled!!! I have fluid leaks and random metal to metal grinding sounds. :lol:

Really though, a new head unit that would allow you a USB port would make you much, much happier. I replaced the Sony unit with a Kenwood that has a USB port for either my iPhone or a thumb drive to play my MP3's.

Well, I really can't complain that since the accident. She's almost completely new from the front doors to the back bumper lol. I will admit she has atleast one squeaky fan belt and I still haven't fixed the SES light. Though thats just reprogramming the computer to the new Throttle Body. Just haven't had the time to do it lol.