EURO CAMS!

MY1PATH

MY1PATH, thanks dude, very informative. I won't be modding quite as much as you, I want to get some more power and performance but without pushing the outer edges of this things capacities. I'm leaning toward a 3.3 from a villager for obvious non-interference reasons and could see me supercharging it somewhere down the road. Maybe milling the head .050 but I want dependable power not to work on it 6 days a week and drive it 1 like I used to do with the SBC's I used to hot rod as a teenager. I'll be picking your brain more in the future.

Thanks man,

TXPower

MY1PATH, thanks dude, very informative. I won't be modding quite as much as you, I want to get some more power and performance but without pushing the outer edges of this things capacities. I'm leaning toward a 3.3 from a villager for obvious non-interference reasons and could see me supercharging it somewhere down the road. Maybe milling the head .050 but I want dependable power not to work on it 6 days a week and drive it 1 like I used to do with the SBC's I used to hot rod as a teenager. I'll be picking your brain more in the future.

Thanks man,

TXPower

FYI my truck is my daily driver. 0.050" would be reliable so long as you have a thicker sleve made for the T-belt tensioner.

Mine is also reliable, 7k miles on this engine and zero mechanical issues from the build. I would say zero Issues overall, but I did have an injector fail. However that injector was ~20 years old and acting up a little before the swap too. The rest of the engine and its parts are new. I am now running r50 injectors (ethanol resistance and possibly better spray pattern) and have not had an issue since.

Edited by MY1PATH

• 9 months later...

Good stuff. The pricing is no doubt due to supply/demand. When Nissan Motorsports was going out, they had a clearance sale. Cams were under $100 if I remember right...

So if i was to go get a set of cams could i just stick them in and be done? Or do you have to change valve springs and all that stuff?

And let me get this straight your taking the vg30 cams and sticking them in the bigger vg33? How does it make more power? Wouldent the vg30 have a smaller cam since its a smaller (in liters) motor? So wouldn't putting the smaller (as makes since to me) cam out of the vg30 in a vg33 make it a smaller stroke making it less powerfull?

Edited by thorpe991

So if i was to go get a set of cams could i just stick them in and be done? Or do you have to change valve springs and all that stuff?

Wondering the same myself .

If I could gain 10-12 hp I'd be happy .

You don't have to change valve springs if you are just putting stock vg30 cams in a vg33. The vg30 actually has the more aggressive cams with a longer duration AND more lift. The vg33e has baby cams... IIRC the vg33 cams are 230 or so degrees of duration and .354" lift and the vg30 cams are 240 or so degrees of duration and .393" lift. Can't remember the exact degrees of duration but it's around there and the lift I'm pretty certain of. Should be worth 10 or so horsepower if you have exhaust and headers as well.

Edited by Nefarious
  • Like 1

so one of my questions would be. how much power would i get out of the old vg30e motor if I redo the Entire exhaust system and change out the cams for a larger one ( If available ) . or Should i go out and pick up a VG33E motor and build up on that.

I always suggest vg33 swaps as the first step but that's because we have two swapped rigs in the family. Lol. Best mod ever for a wd21. Any performance parts thereafter have even more of an effect and that extra base torque is really noticeable in a heavy truck like our pathys. I searched smart and acquired both vg33s for the swaps for 350$ combined. If you look around and are willing to pull the motor, you can get good deals on the 3.3s from my experience. Totally worth it for the cost.

Expect 10-12 hp in a vg30 or 15-18 hp in a vg33 (since the vg33 has such weak cams stock to begin with) with a good set of aftermarket cams.

I'll report back when I get my thezshop re ground cams installed. Should be worth near 20 hp and a good bit of mid range torque with the setup I'm planning. :)

Edited by Nefarious