Inspecting the fuel system...

Hermit

I've got a fuel leak in my 1988, and I'm wondering if there is an access panel of some sort beneath the carpet in the back to look at the top of the tank, the fuel pump and the lines from the top, or if dropping the tank is the only way to get a peek at what exactly is leaking back there.

I looked in my FSM and couldn't find any reference to a panel, but I might have been looking in the wrong place, heh. I haven't had a chance to go poking around under the carpet yet either. Any help or insight would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Depends on the pathy, I've been into that hatch on about half a dozen PF's and they were all pretty easy to get into and mostly rust free. But that's CA & WA pathy's and WA JY's.

Are you seeing the drip there? Becase the most common fuel leak is the sneaky 3" hose that joins the left fule rail to the right fule rail. It sits at the front of the lower intake manifold just behind the coolant neck. Its out of sight unless you know to look for it.
The next is the Feed and retun line near the frame rail in the engine bay.

For the tank lines, you can reach them to snug the clamps on the pump but probably a PITA to get the ones on the hardlines or replace them w/o just cutting the old ones and dropping the tank.

The leak is definitely from the rear of the truck, not the front, and that's all I know right now. Top of the tank, bottom of the tank, return line, feed line? No idea. But soon I hope to have an idea! Thanks all, glad to know I can check things out without dropping the tank first.

if you do drop the tank, i would invest in some tank treatment to pour in there and shake around while its out. Help secure your investment.

Agreed. Give it a good cleaning, resealing and a nice thick new coat of paint on the outside.

The is on my 89, and that's a 2 door. Once you get those screws out, change them over to something with a different heard on the (hex head) and a dab of anti - seize will assure you that rust will prevent them from breaking off or stripping the head out again.

Edited by krmiller07