Warn manual hubs

My pathy has the auto lock factory, gonna install the warn premium manual hubs ( I don't trust auto hubs at all) anyone have a say on the quality or malfunctions of the warn hubs?

I moved these posts to the 1990-1995 WD21 section as the Garage/Parts Info section is for stating part numbers, ordering information, sources, prices, etc.

No biggie, just trying to keep things organized...

B

I've seen Mile Markers literally explode.

Sure hope it was a fluke...

Mine seem to be holding up. *crosses fingers* Had trouble with the bolts coming loose when in 4wd though. After a few wheelin trips went to go lock the hubs and noticed one bolt holding it on, the rest were gone. Over torqued with locktite hoping they stay snug. :unsure:

Well, here we go.

I think the Warns are solidly built, but the studs they send with them are crap. Mine snapped well below torque rating when I was installing them. I swapped out, as many have, to bolts but found that these were regularly coming loose. In fact because of them becoming loose I actually broke a few bolts. So it got to the point that I was re-tightening every time I wheeled. I tried loctite, but it didn't seem to hold. Of course, I probably needed to clean the threads better. There is another downside to the bolts. The shoulder section of the bolt isn't long enough to engage the unthreaded portion in the hub of the wheel. What this does is leave the threads of the bolt open to bending loads if the Locking hubs slip relative to the wheel hub. I pretty sure this is what caused my broken bolts, especially once they loosened.

Recently I switched back to studs (purchased online), and using nord-loc washers. I cleaned the internal threads as best I could and loctited with permanent loctite. We will see how this set-up holds up.

BTW, my opinion of Warn support is.....MEH! I contacted them about the broken studs (years after it happened) and asked if they had an improved stud. They acted like they weren't aware of an issue, but I've heard many other have similar experience. I wasn't even looking for free replacement. I just wanted better studs.

Anyway, many have used grade 8 bolts with much success, but if you go that route be sure to clean internal threads good and thread lock with at least high strength loctite. I'd avoid permanent loctite in the bolt case because you have to get the bolts out to take the hub off.

In my case I used Dorman 675-334 studs, with M8 // 5/16 Nord-Lock washers, and a grade 8 or better nut. You don't necessarily have to use the nord lock. Probably could get away with and ordinary springs washer.

Edited by andreus009

I've never had an issue with Warn's customer service.

I prefer the old Warn hub design, bigger, bulkier, but it uses bolts that actually hold. Too bad they never made them for Pathfinders.

Agreed, many people have had problems with those studs. When I bought my Warns used they were shipped with a set of 1/2 stripped and bent studs. I promptly threw them away and installed the hubs with some grade 10.9 socket head cap screws and lock washers. I obviously used loctite, but backflushed the holes with brake cleaner and compressed air beforehand as well. No issues so far...

My comment about the overtorque is just that threads will only put up with so much. Here is an example for perspective

Metric Bolt Torque Table
Estimated with clamp load as 75% of proof load
as specified in ISO 898-1

12.9 Socket Head Cap Screw

Dry Lubed

(377) (284)

BTW, those are inch/lbs, so 31 and 24 ft/lbs respectively.

That aint a whole lot folks! ;)

B

I believe there are two versions of the Warn hubs for the pathfinder. One is the standard and then one is the premium. I don't remember all the differences but I opted for the premium.

In regard to the auto locking hubs. Depending on how hard you are gonna wheel it they will hold up pretty good. I finally broke one (and the end of the cv shaft) when I was trying to get up an obstacle. Basically, one front wheel was lifting and getting a lot of wheel spin then coming down on solid rock with good traction. Basically going from maybe 15mph to 0 on that well in a split second. After pulling the auto hubs apart (to get the pieces out so I could drive home) I was amazed at how much abuse they took without breaking before. The Warn hubs are definitely more stout, but like I said the autos seem to handle a lot and it depends on how you wheel it.