Machine gun fires after being buried 70 years

devonianwalk

Nice! Scary too. Like the safety steps they took prior to firing the gun...

Exactly!

Sorry, but no love here. Typical Brit "look how awesome we were' crap. The Spitfire was a great plane but it was a high performance/short distance interceptor which is an easy roll to fill (they aren't meant to last). The armament was weak! 4-8 machine guns and no cannons. Nice that you can dig it up and clean it up enough to fire, but why did it take 70 years to care?

While the BF109 wasn't perfect, it had 20mm cannons and that makes a huge difference.

This is what made people pee in their pants though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdPv0h5Kpm4

B

Exactly!

Sorry, but no love here. Typical Brit "look how awesome we were' crap. The Spitfire was a great plane but it was a high performance/short distance interceptor which is an easy roll to fill (they aren't meant to last). The armament was weak! 4-8 machine guns and no cannons. Nice that you can dig it up and clean it up enough to fire, but why did it take 70 years to care?

While the BF109 wasn't perfect, it had 20mm cannons and that makes a huge difference.

This is what made people pee in their pants though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdPv0h5Kpm4

B

Oh boy, here we go........ :rolleyes:

I find it laughable that some of my new fellow-countrymen deride a 70 year old gun that can still fire after being in a bog covered in @!*%e, when an M16 will jam if there's 2 grains of dust in the air! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

On the subject of aircraft, I will agree that the Spitfires armament was weak, the ME109's cannons were a big advantage. Also, don't forget that the P51 Mustang was a piss poor aircraft only good for low level until they put the Rolls Royce engine into it & for a Yank to comment "Typical Brit "look how awesome we were' crap" when the USA was years late getting into both world wars then claim that they won everything, is a shining example of the pot calling the kettle black. :D:tongue: Don't think Hollywood is true history my old son.

Having said that, I also agree that the FW 190 was an awesome plane but there were not enough good German pilots still alive (the British & Russians having shot down most of them before American even got into WWII) for it to make a difference.

Now, stop all this nationalistic arguing, if any of us were that gung ho about our countries we'd be driving Land Rovers & Jeeps not Nissan's!!! :aok::rofl::itsallgood:

• Like 4

Now, stop all this nationalistic arguing, if any of us were that gung ho about our countries we'd be driving Land Rovers & Jeeps not Nissan's!!! :aok::rofl::itsallgood:

"A" effin' "Men!" Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

I figure they're just doing their bit to keep the past alive. I grant you the presenter comes over as a bit of a prat though..

Thank god America saved everyones bacon ;)

Actually, that was my biggest contention...

And no, honestly, in the case of WW2, it was the Russians that saved everyones bacon! Hell, the US had Sherman tanks that were ordered to evacuate the area if there was a Panzer spotted!

Oh boy, here we go........ :rolleyes:

I find it laughable that some of my new fellow-countrymen deride a 70 year old gun that can still fire after being in a bog covered in @!*%e, when an M16 will jam if there's 2 grains of dust in the air! :laugh:

On the subject of aircraft, I will agree that the Spitfires armament was weak, the ME109's cannons were a big advantage. Also, don't forget that the P51 Mustang was a piss poor aircraft only good for low level until they put the Rolls Royce engine into it & for a Yank to comment "Typical Brit "look how awesome we were' crap" when the USA was years late getting into both world wars then claim that they won everything, is a shining example of the pot calling the kettle black. :tongue: Don't think Hollywood is true history my old son.

Having said that, I also agree that the FW 190 was an awesome plane but there were not enough good German pilots still alive (the British & Russians having shot down most of them before American even got into WWII) for it to make a difference.

Now, stop all this nationalistic arguing, if any of us were that gung ho about our countries we'd be driving Land Rovers & Jeeps not Nissan's!!! :rofl::itsallgood:

Now now, you are being just as nationalistic... ;)

I honestly wasn't trying to be insulting, so I apologize. I find much pride to be misplaced, regardless of the lines on the map.

I agree about the M16 comment, and that is why I own a Mini-14! :D

I agree as well about the USA roll and historical skew. While I am a Yank by definition, it just so happens that my father served in Normandy, but on the goose-step side. Yep, I'm a first gen American Kraut and actually have a pretty good grasp of the terrible realities of that time. Trust me, I know the only war the US won was against the Japanese, and that wasn't easy either!

By all rights, this is what I should be driving then! :lol:

Maximog-Unimog.jpg

:itsallgood:

B

Actually, that was my biggest contention...

And no, honestly, in the case of WW2, it was the Russians that saved everyones bacon! Hell, the US had Sherman tanks that were ordered to evacuate the area if there was a Panzer spotted!

Now now, you are being just as nationalistic... ;)

I honestly wasn't trying to be insulting, so I apologize. I find much pride to be misplaced, regardless of the lines on the map.

I agree about the M16 comment, and that is why I own a Mini-14! :D

I agree as well about the USA roll and historical skew. While I am a Yank by definition, it just so happens that my father served in Normandy, but on the goose-step side. Yep, I'm a first gen American Kraut and actually have a pretty good grasp of the terrible realities of that time. Trust me, I know the only war the US won was against the Japanese, and that wasn't easy either!

No need to apologize B, we're all just having a laugh :itsallgood: My dad was a long range spotter for the Canadian artillery in North Africa, Sicily & Italy, didn't talk about it much but did tell me some stories that were pretty funny. I don't think the guys liked to talk about the bad stuff, too many horrible memories. I think that's so cool that your dad was in Normandy with the German army, in lots of ways I think they had it worse than the allied troops. Did he tell you any stories about the war? We don't hear much about their side of the story.

I used to have a WWII website that had some really cool photos (my wife's dad was with the 5th Air Force in the Pacific & has tons of pics that he took), you've just given me the inspiration to revamp it & get it back up & running. Kids today need to remember the sacrifices made by people of ALL nations so that they can be the spoiled, arrogant little bastards that they are today :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 2

Hey all,

My :my2cents::my2cents:

Yesterday I watched a WWII movie...I know, Hollywood...no, but really it clearly displays the true nature of people during wars.

It is about how we can all be brothers if/when not carrying out the work of evil-doers. Part of the story focuses on two soldiers, one german, one american, both wounded, yet somehow they find it in their hearts to help each other and treat each other with civility. I am sure the war was riddled with hundreds of untold instances like that one.

It is not a good movie by any means but it does drive home the message that wars are not the solider's war, they are the botched-up dreams of mindless, butchering leaders sending normal folk, with families and dreams to their deaths.

Personally, I love all types of WWII Aircraft, Ships and Weaponry. In most instances, there is no one clearly better than the other. Each had their faults and benefits. My dad had a huge collection of books and videos on WWII which he unfortunately sold but those books were hours of enjoyment for me. Spitfires, ME109's, Zeros and Mustangs are mongst my favourites. My absolute favourite (thanks to Pappy Boyington and The Black Sheep Squadron :lol: ) is the F4U Corsair. I finally got to see one live last year at the Boeing Aircraft museum in Seattle. What a beauty!!!! :wub::lol:

Personally, I didn't lose anyone in any of the wars and empathyse with anyone who did. I think that aside from a few knuckleheads who went to war with the intent to harm and kill, no one went willingly or happily. Most were brainwashed or ofrced into service and into thinking this was a necessity and their duty. (Duty to protect their rights and freedoms yes, totally) Their duty to kill others whose "duty" was to kill them...well...Wars are a terrible thing made up by those who never fully grow and wisen up.

Oh yeah , and what is that monstrosity? Russian-ized unimog? :laugh: It looks absolutely brutal! Except I don't see why one would put fogs so low to the ground...just beggin' for them to be ripped off. :/

NE way, nice to see everyone getting along... :handlebars: That is why I come here... :lol:

Edited by Bluewulf73
  • Like 1

NE way, nice to see everyone getting along... :handlebars: That is why I come here... :lol:

This is a great forum, most others have people yelling at each other & being really nasty. It gets heated here at times (usually about mods & mechanical stuff) but nobody goes OTT & people are willing to listen to other opinions instead of being hateful. So, do decent people drive Pathy's or does driving a Pathy make you a decent person? :D

• Like 1

I wish all you stinking bastards would stay the fskc on topic! This is about a gun or something that helped beat Japan using those old planes in that video B posted. :)

• Like 1

No need to apologize B, we're all just having a laugh :itsallgood: My dad was a long range spotter for the Canadian artillery in North Africa, Sicily & Italy, didn't talk about it much but did tell me some stories that were pretty funny. I don't think the guys liked to talk about the bad stuff, too many horrible memories. I think that's so cool that your dad was in Normandy with the German army, in lots of ways I think they had it worse than the allied troops. Did he tell you any stories about the war? We don't hear much about their side of the story.

I used to have a WWII website that had some really cool photos (my wife's dad was with the 5th Air Force in the Pacific & has tons of pics that he took), you've just given me the inspiration to revamp it & get it back up & running. Kids today need to remember the sacrifices made by people of ALL nations so that they can be the spoiled, arrogant little bastards that they are today :laugh:

Yeah, my dad told me a few stories but they were mainly of the 'after the airplane dropped a bomb on us, I woke up later in an apple tree and everyone else was dead' variety. Being a country boy drafted into the German army at age 17 wasn't an overall pleasant experience. Yes, it was pretty rough time for a lowly foot soldier...

He didn't talk about it much but there are a couple I can share. One was him describing running through a corn field away from some drunk GIs in a 1/2 track that were throwing empty wine bottles at him while trying to run him down. Another was when his job was tending a fire used to dispose of amputated body parts; apparently the worst part was when the smell made ones stomach rumble due to being short on rations and hungry.

He did speak kindly of the Brits after he spent a few years in a POW camp there. Apparently he was treated reasonably well when he worked on some farm detail or something, I know he appreciated that...

Hey all,

My :my2cents:

Yesterday I watched a WWII movie...I know, Hollywood...no, but really it clearly displays the true nature of people during wars.

It is about how we can all be brothers if/when not carrying out the work of evil-doers. Part of the story focuses on two soldiers, one german, one american, both wounded, yet somehow they find it in their hearts to help each other and treat each other with civility. I am sure the war was riddled with hundreds of untold instances like that one.

It is not a good movie by any means but it does drive home the message that wars are not the solider's war, they are the botched-up dreams of mindless, butchering leaders sending normal folk, with families and dreams to their deaths.

Personally, I love all types of WWII Aircraft, Ships and Weaponry. In most instances, there is no one clearly better than the other. Each had their faults and benefits. My dad had a huge collection of books and videos on WWII which he unfortunately sold but those books were hours of enjoyment for me. Spitfires, ME109's, Zeros and Mustangs are mongst my favourites. My absolute favourite (thanks to Pappy Boyington and The Black Sheep Squadron :lol: ) is the F4U Corsair. I finally got to see one live last year at the Boeing Aircraft museum in Seattle. What a beauty!!!! :wub:

Personally, I didn't lose anyone in any of the wars and empathyse with anyone who did. I think that aside from a few knuckleheads who went to war with the intent to harm and kill, no one went willingly or happily. Most were brainwashed or ofrced into service and into thinking this was a necessity and their duty. (Duty to protect their rights and freedoms yes, totally) Their duty to kill others whose "duty" was to kill them...well...Wars are a terrible thing made up by those who never fully grow and wisen up.

Oh yeah , and what is that monstrosity? Russian-ized unimog? It looks absolutely brutal! Except I don't see why one would put fogs so low to the ground...just beggin' for them to be ripped off.

Yes, war=bad, there just isn't any other reality. I think one of the biggest atrocities is when people are dehumanized. As you said, most people don't want to be there in the first place...

I agree, most of those old prop planes were pretty cool other than that whole 'designed to kill and destroy' part. :shrug:

Yep, good old Unimog! :aok:

That one is obviously set up for expedition and I'll bet those low lights are higher off the ground than you think! ;)

B

• Like 1

Oooooops! We have kinda hijacked the thread from DVW :hide:

Back to topic.........

I wonder how much those guns are worth although I would think they'd put them in a museum as there can't be many working .303 Browning machine guns left in the world. Here's an interesting article about the Spitfires gun set ups & how they affected the wing design........ http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_spitfire_wings.html

Here's the story behind the plane & it's guns, the pilot was an American from Nebraska!!! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2060047/Built-Guns-Spitfire-buried-peat-bog-70-years-time.html

Edited by theexbrit

...and I'll bet those low lights are higher off the ground than you think! ;)

B

Oh, I'm sure they are at least as high as my waist, if not half-way up my back 4'-5' high...they just seem a bit...out of place and...exposed, compared to the rest of the setup on the -mog.

Oooooops! We have kinda hijacked the thread from DVW :hide:

Back to topic.........

:lol: I'm kidding bro! Although that is interesting about the wing design. Thread jack away fella's.

• Like 1

At first I thought "Uh oh, we've upset the big guy", then I realized your rant was posted immediately after my post about how nice everyone here is :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: