87 path Tranny problem

WyKi

Sp my uncles 87 AUT. doesnt want to shif to 3rd/4th , could a clogged filter do this? as to low pressure, it kind of feels like it wants to engage but just doesnt. Thanks.

'87 is a 3-speed transmission made by Jatco, so if you're waiting for a 4th gear shift it'll never happen. :lol:

I saved my failing 3-speed by a fluid change and an aftermarket cooler.

Hi, Fluid level is full and clean/pinkish not burnt. Oil cooler was bypassed. :\

I would also like to add that on the dash the D doesnt light up.I have seen it on before so I know the bulb works, but it doesnt want to turn on, would that be a cause? Because I remember on my white 92 the "N" safety switch was acting up and had to chage it because the truck didnt even want to turn on.

• 3 weeks later...

'87 is a 3-speed transmission made by Jatco, so if you're waiting for a 4th gear shift it'll never happen. :lol:

I saved my failing 3-speed by a fluid change and an aftermarket cooler.

what is the best upgrade option for us 3 speed autos? i would guess 5 speed manual?

So by what was said it seems like he's saying its not shifting from third to fourth. By " kind of feels like it wants to engage but just doesn't" he's describing the torque converter lockup. Since there's no fourth gear and I have it right, there's nothing wrong with the transmission at all.

Or he means its not shifting from second to third, that's a problem. WyKi can you clarify a little?

Hey guys, yea.. doesnt shift from 2nd to 3rd :/ and it does shift from 1 to 2 manually..

Edited by WyKi