A heads up on ordering from Summit racing

ahardb0dy

I was looking for an item on the Summit Racing web site, and it runs $13.46 each, times 2 that i would need plus the $9.95 handling (free shipping, $9.95 handling !) comes out to $36.87 delivered.

Was looking on E-bay for similar items and searched the same part number and the same item comes up, from Summit for the same price but with a $4.95 shipping cost and second item free bringing the e-bay total to $31.87, no handling charge, not a huge difference but $5 is $5 especially when you are on a tight budget. The E-bay part was from Summit, and is brand new also.

Just wanted to bring this up for anyone looking to order something from Summit, may be worth it to check for the item from E-bay to see if it is cheaper.

Interesting, thanks for the tip!

I will point out that the Summit 'no shipping costs, just handling fee' can work out to your advantage as well. IIRC they have 3 different handling costs, something like $5.99, $9.99 and $12.99. I ordered 5 steel rims from them and phoned it in so I could verify that there was no exception or extra fees. The operator told me that it would only be the $12.99 handling fee to ship them to me and I had bought them on sale for $40 each! I got 5 rims delivered to my door for $212... :aok:

Ok, I went to verify my info, and they outline their shipping charges (just handling in this case) in the Customer Service/Shipping Questions (off of the main page) very clearly. Here is the standard breakdown...

$0.00-$24.99 $4.95

$25.00-$99.99 $9.95

$100.00-$249.99 $11.95

$250.00 and up $12.95

B

"Handling charge" I've seen a few companies do this, but never knew Summit did.

Ebay, not uncommon here. Rockyroad Outfitters does the same thing.

Consider checking Jegs as well. I recently bought from them and the shipping was free. And although I had to pay FedEx's $9.99 "Oversized Package" fee, Jegs did not hit me with a handling or processing fee of their own.

Well If you take the standard shipping from Summit it's free than they add the handling charge as Precise listed above, if you want any shipping other than "free" they add more on,

here's what I was looking at:

Two -10 hose ends, swivel 90 degree @ $13.46 each X 2 = $26.92

ground shipping 0.00

"handling" 9.95

total $36.87

now add second day air and they add $15.00

funny thing about that is, at least to my address if I ordered this during the week with no holiday say on Tuesday I would have it by Thursday using regular ground shipping so no need for the extra expense of second day

And if I ordered this from them thru E-bay it would be the $31.87 I posted in my first post and I would still probably receive it in 2 days !

Edited by ahardb0dy

Summit and Jegs have had a "Handling Charge" for years.

As for using their Ebay store to order to avoid it. Check the fine print. Sometimes when you order from their Ebay stores you get different return, exchange and warranty policies. Versus if you order form catalog, site or phone in.

I agree with B, it works in your advantage some time, I ordered 5 pro comp steel wheels, shipping was free, only paid like $17 in "handling" fees, which considering how heavy those wheels are, I thought it was fair. Even though I had to deal with a train derailment causing delays, but that's not summits fault.

That being said, I just ordered a 1" wildwood brake master cylinder for my dad's 280z, it was truly free which I thought was astonishing, ~$121 with no shipping and handling fees.

-Kyle

I recently ordered a Thrush muffler from Summit. The "Buy Now" price on their eBay store was exactly the same as their web store's after the "handling" fee.
Either way, they beat everyone else by at least $10.

There were no additional shipping charges and they had the part to me the next day.

Summit is freak'n awesome.