Paracord projects

nunya

So I ventured and made my first paracord project and enjoyed it, not only shall I share but figured if others want to share it might as well be in one place. Though posted in off-topic, try to stay somewhat on the particular topic please.

So for my virgin project I decided to make a belt, I don't really own a belt I know of so it seemed like a good idea. Step 1 was source some cordage

null_zps32719030.jpg

(100ft roll)

and a buckle

null_zps09329f55.jpg

(sourced from a junk belt I found in a junk car)

then I 'built' a rig

null_zps2f648479.jpg

Wife wouldn't be too happy with me hammering nails into the coffee table (well maybe, she hates our table but I like it) so a 2x4 supplemented as my benchtop. I'm a 30" waist so I made it so it was 34" from tied end of the buckle to the nail

Again this being my first time and I am far from a seamstress (though I can do some mean zip-tie fishing :lol: ) so I didn't do too overcomplicated of a pattern yet

null_zps579d974c.jpgnull_zps5885ac00.jpg

null_zps8dff4a66.jpg

Hindsight I should have added more length than I did to the initial overall length as it shrunk a little along the line and I couldn't grasp the finishing knot too well (I assume it will get better with more practice/projects) but it still makes it around me without me having to think thin(er)

null_zps3e3bedb6.jpg

(I've cleaned up the strand randomly hanging out since too) I'm thinking once I've worn it for a couple days it will stretch a little more too as the knotting tightens up some (if that makes sense). May not be the best, but I know theres worse out there and I can say I made it, not bought it (not that I have anything against that either, my wife has a store bought paracord bracelet with the plastic clip type fastener with a little rescue whistle built into it)

It's pink. :rofl:

I have no idea why I didn't guess that! :D

Not bad for a first try in my book. Paracord is cheap and reusable so no loss there...

Can you take another picture of the weave, your camera seems to have pixelated the crap out of it, and can you name/link what weave it is, please?

I have this sling that is too long, but I'm guessing it can't be easily shortened.

(picture to come after dinner, biatches)

B

I've only found it as called "basic weave" or "simple weave", I just didn't pull the cord as tightly into pattern as I could have. I lost length in actual materal but didn't want the wicker basket look either

I vaguely used this as a starting guideline

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Projects/Rescue%20Belt/RescueBelt.htm

as for a closer image

null_zpsd912654a.jpg

I'll have to find one of the actual cameras around here to try to get a GOOD clear picture but the color pattern naturally messes with my phones camera (surprise!)

Yea, who woulda guessed I'd make it pink too :chairfall:

Ok, I can see the basic weave in that photo, and yeah, the hot pink flaming techno digital camo pattern is just the thing to fark with sensors and data interpretation, not to mention heterosexual minds! :lol:

Here is a shot of what was purchased for me. It is 6 strand core with the wrap stiched back and forth across it, interlocking at the edges, about 1/2" thick and 1" wide. As I look at it, I don't think it can be shortened without redoing the entire thing. Oh well, I'll just have to buy a rifle to match it... :D

048_zpsa3ea6f60.jpg

B

You should own more than just one belt! Can be very useful in emergencies.

Nice job though.

I always lived by the "buy pants that fit" phrase and never needed a belt to hold them up, hence now only owning 1 :lol: I'll be trying again with a different knot so I will build a collection!

You just wait, it doesn't always work like that... ;)

Or you can just send it to me B, my 3030 is set up for that kind of strap. :)

Well, so is my Mini-14, but it seems to be too long. I do have to get the sling pegs with the holes in them to find out though, the factory ones have sling loop already attached.

Besides, I think the wife would be a bit irritated if I just gave away a past B-Day present from her...

B

Just some basic paracord weaves, mostly bracelets, but could be fobs, collars, etc...

http://www.squidoo.com/paracord-bracelet-patterns

Here are a few others...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord/

I think the thing to determine is what the useage is, if it is merely a cool, home made item (nothing wrong with that) or of it is a true survival item that can be pulled apart quickly. Do you need it to support weight or supply some cord without unraveling the entire thing, etc...

I'm considering a few things, a belt clip water bottle protector/insulator would be a really useful one. ;)

B

You just wait, it doesn't always work like that... ;)

Well, so is my Mini-14, but it seems to be too long. I do have to get the sling pegs with the holes in them to find out though, the factory ones have sling loop already attached.

Besides, I think the wife would be a bit irritated if I just gave away a past B-Day present from her...

B

Wow, you can still legally own a mini-14 in crazy liberal Feinstein country?? Shocking........

The most common weave is called a cobra weave, that's what you have Precise1. I make bracelets and have made a few shoulder straps and a few belts. To make the belts and shoulder strap takes a lot of cord and a ton of time to make them just right. Thats why I only make the bracelets and very rarely a dog collar. I made a strap for my AR but decided to put a single point on it.

Nice job nunya for your first attempt. try making the weave tighter and what I have found useful is for belts and slings I would just start out with about 300' of cord and start braiding. For bracelets and collars its 1' of cord per inch of wrist or neck diameter. That is not always the case though, depends on the type of weave.

Thanks for the good info Bud!

Yeah, it looks like it would be a lot of work. IIRC, for this 36" sling there is something like 50' of parachord? It seems well made and the weave is tight and dense so no complaints here.

For the non tactical, what is a single point (sling?) and how does it work?

I should probably just look it up...

B

I enjoy the feel and ease of use of the single point. Mainly tho it is because I have a Daniel Defense Omega X quad rail on my rifle and the front sling mount had to be removed, the rail system extends forward of the front sight on both sides and the bottom.

It also makes it easier to switch from side to side since the sling allows the rifle to rest in the center of the chest. This type of sling may not be very comfortable to some women tho. :/

The most common weave is called a cobra weave, that's what you have Precise1. I make bracelets and have made a few shoulder straps and a few belts. To make the belts and shoulder strap takes a lot of cord and a ton of time to make them just right. Thats why I only make the bracelets and very rarely a dog collar. I made a strap for my AR but decided to put a single point on it.

Nice job nunya for your first attempt. try making the weave tighter and what I have found useful is for belts and slings I would just start out with about 300' of cord and start braiding. For bracelets and collars its 1' of cord per inch of wrist or neck diameter. That is not always the case though, depends on the type of weave.

thanks for the insite! I want to try that 'cobra weave' but assume it will be more time consuming (not that I care about that) but will probably try that with some mix/match colors (lies, it will be primarily pink). Any helpful info on doing something better is always welcome in my book :beer:

The cobra weave is really very simple, you can google it and you will get about a billion answers and vidios. It'll be good to watch a video or two and then try it after reading some simple directions and by looking at pictures. Yeah, make sure if you do google it you get pics, otherwise following the written directions or videos will be a nightmare, lol.

Paracord projects are fun, I did a bracelet awhile ago and decided to make my dog a matching collar. Started with just a plain cobra weave, once you get to the end you go back over the weave with another cobra, to make it thicker.
226605_554650365697_289163053_n_zps25f36

• 4 weeks later...

null_zps6c2826ce.jpg

I didn't make this, it's a store bought one with the safety whistle in the clip. This one is mine and my wife has a plain green one. Basicly what I want to imitate for my next project only more... me (and better fitting)

• 4 weeks later...

null_zps19f03e99.jpg

first Cobra Weave attempt, this one fits better and I found the clips with the whistles in them AFTER making this one (at a craft store, not really surprisingly actually). Gotta get more colors though to make more variety...