engine swap compatibility

I have a 1995 pathfinder with a gas engine 2960 cc, manual 5 speed transmission with 4WD.

I am considering putting in a Turbo Diesel Engine QD32ETi that comes with Auto AWD Trans - Wiring - ECU.

Would this engine fit and what are the main problems I would encounter?

If it comes out of an R50, I wouldn't think there would be much issue with mounting the motor. It should have the same mounts as a VG.

The tranny might be a trick. Do you know exactly which model it is? Is it full-time AWD or select 4WD? I don't think all wheel drive would be too practical in this situation.
Then, if it doesn't match the WD21's transmissions, you'll have to worry about drive lines... Custom-built may be necessary.
You'd be much better off if this motor would bolt-up to your existing gearbox.

Of course, even if the drive train swaps over, you still have to work out the wiring (an included engine harness probably won't be directly compatible with the chassis) and difference in fuel systems. Having the donor vehicle on hand would help,

All-in-all, it sounds like a nightmare. A time-consuming, cash-guzzling, ulcer-inducing nightmare.
It ought to be a blast! :D

Do yourself a favor and find the FSM for the R50 or E50 that the motor comes from and start comparing it to the WD21.

• Like 1

AS I like to say, anything is possible with enough time and money.

That engine was used in the R50 from 1996–1999. As stated above the engine mounts and tranny should bolt up.

IF you can get the seriers of the transmission that was originally mounted to it that would be helpful information.
IF it hasnt been pulled out of the donor vehicle yet I would get some measurements as well.

Thanks for the information. The donor vehicle is not available - the diesel replacement engine with transmission is AWD.

Am having second thought about the replacement but will investigate further as you have suggested.

Don't let this detour you. If you genuinely want to do something different and are willing to take on the project, I'll happily cheer you on.

You're headed in the right direction as far as seeking information before starting, but you have a lot more homework to do.

When people do VG33 (gasoline R50 engine) swaps they have to keep their WD21's oil pan to clear the diff. I'm not familiar with the QD diesel so I don't know if you'd have a clearance issue, or how difficult it would be to modify. The diesel offered in the WDs is a TD rather than a QD so I doubt the pan would switch over like it does between the VG30 and VG33.