Lost overdrive

Yendor

I have no problems with the transmission, but I have no overdrive. Since it's an electronic overdrive, i thought some of the wiring is shot somewhere. But where do I look?

I still have to check if the trans. is throwing any codes though.

Just to get the stupid stuff out of the way: OD (on the shifter) is turned on? The 'OD off' on the dash isn't lit? Has it always done this?

I looked through the FSM, looks like page AT-62 is what you're after.

Assuming you've made sure there are no codes, you are sure the lightbulb is not just burn out, and the transmission does not, in fact go into OD, you might want read below. I don't think there are any fuses for this...might be worth a check though.

Mine went so I had to take the shifter assembly apart. Wire disconnected there. It is a tiny wire running up the shifter. I guess 15 years of shifting were enough for that tiny little thing. :shrug:

Find the interior section in the FSM and figure out how to disassemble the centre console. If theWD21's are the same as the R50s in this regard, you should see a little wire running up to the shifter column then up the shifter.

In mine, it came undone right at the button. I am guessing the same could happen to yours; either came undone right at the button, or at the base. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I am not familiar with the WD21's.

Edited by Bluewulf73
  • Like 1

Yep. That's how mine started. "OD" was goofing when I bought it. 2 weeks later I lost 3rd completely.

I proceeded to drive the truck daily on 2 gears for the next 4.5 years before it finally gave out (a few weeks ago).

Fun fact: 3500 RPM in 2nd gear equates to about 60 MPH on a level road. Push it past that and you'll never pass a gas station.

The FSM mentions D3 and D4, but if you can find an actual gear in there, you're a better man than I.

I pretty sure automatic transmissions are assembled and operated using black magic.
I'm willing to bet that if you take it apart, you'll only find a red candle floating in the center with a wick on either end... The length of the wick determines how much longer your tranny will work.

• Like 1

Assuming you've made sure there are no codes, you are sure the lightbulb is not just burn out, and the transmission does not, in fact go into OD, you might want read below. I don't think there are any fuses for this...might be worth a check though.

Mine went so I had to take the shifter assembly apart. Wire disconnected there. It is a tiny wire running up the shifter. I guess 15 years of shifting were enough for that tiny little thing. :shrug:

Find the interior section in the FSM and figure out how to disassemble the centre console. If theWD21's are the same as the R50s in this regard, you should see a little wire running up to the shifter column then up the shifter.

In mine, it came undone right at the button. I am guessing the same could happen to yours; either came undone right at the button, or at the base. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I am not familiar with the WD21's.

Still haven't had the time to check for any codes. I'll have to take a look at this, as I dissasembled my center console sometime ago. Thanks for the headsup.

Just to get the stupid stuff out of the way: OD (on the shifter) is turned on? The 'OD off' on the dash isn't lit? Has it always done this?

I looked through the FSM, looks like page AT-62 is what you're after.

Yes, it's not the bulb. ;) It hasn't always done this.

And thanks for the page reference.

in the olden days it would have been considered a 3speed with overdrive. the earlier models just had a 3 speed (without overdrive).

Yes, that how they were presented in Yon Olde Days.