Sittin on 35's

IMAG0425.jpg

Traded my old 32x11x17's to my buddy for an Iphone which I in turn traded for these 35x12.5x17. Set of Nitto's. Only have about 40% tread but work great in the snow. Aired them down to 5 lbs and went everywhere. They also measure at 13" wide I only have an 1/8 inch of space between the strut and tire but thats all I need.

• Like 3

It really looks great. I've actually said it to multiple people that I think 35's make a 2" AC + 4" SFD really look right.

OK, so here are my questions (sorry, just always thinking about my own options):

1. Rim width and backspacing? Spacer size?
  2. Have you flexed yet? Rubbing out back?
  3. Much trimming up front?
  4. Much bump steer?
  5. What gears are you running? How's the acceleration?

Seriously, it looks awesome. Maybe it's my 2nd beer speaking here, but 35's are where its at!

Ok Rick.

1. 17"X8.5" with 5" backspacing and a 1.5" Wheel spacer. So in other words with 3.5"s of backspacing and 8.5 wide you can clear 12.5 inch wide tires of any size. To the strut that is.

2. I have flexed and nothing bad yet. I still need to lift the back another 1.5"s but I wanted to get new shocks first. Should be here tomorrow.

3. I don't have the mud flaps on. Trimmed an inch off the bumper and just did a slight trim of the flares. Thats it.

4. Now when it comes to ride and drivability. Hasn't changed at all. Still handle the same. Can still corner and turn just fine.

5. I have the 4.6's in mine with a Manual transmission. Acceleration has barely dropped. Handles them great. No stalling. And actually my gas mileage went up by about 1 mpg.

Thanks for the complements. I am extremely happy with how it is turning out. Next is a winch and some lockers.

I picked up some Rancho RSX9000L rear shocks today. They have 12 inches of travel. Now just need to make a spacer to level it out and I will Have some really nice flex in the back.

The 9000XL were really nice shocks when I ran them. I was surprised at how much the valve adjustment could make to the ride.

I picked up some Rancho RSX9000L rear shocks today. They have 12 inches of travel. Now just need to make a spacer to level it out and I will Have some really nice flex in the back.

What model (part number) did you get? When I ran RS9000XL shocks, which cannot be run upside-down, the right rear shock body got dented by the panhard rod bracket when the rear left wheel stuffed and the rear right dropped. When the R50 shock mounts were changed in model year 99.5, that's no longer an issue, but it might be for your 98.

Edited by XPLORx4

Xplor I mounted them right side up and I have checked the articulation with no ill effects.

Timmons You can fit max 13 wide with a rim having atleast 3.5" BS and 8.5 wide.

Redbeard I have done some decent offroading and there is some rubbing at flex but I plan to put new bump stops in to keep that from happening.

I am in the process of making some custom rear spring spacers so that it is leveled out nicely. I also have some really awesome plans for the front suspension. Not SAS but something more unique. Will take a while but will promise to post up everything.

I am in the process of making some custom rear spring spacers so that it is leveled out nicely. I also have some really awesome plans for the front suspension. Not SAS but something more unique. Will take a while but will promise to post up everything.

I'm excited for this.

I'm making a short throw shifter in the next few weeks and wondering who might be interested for an r50

Me.

Had a local guy say he could fab one up for around $75. What are your plans?