thumpin n bumpin

johnyreb

Any upgraded the sound system in their pathy i personally was thinking kicker 6x9s in the speaker boxes in the rear kicker 6 inches in the doors sony xplod deck small amp and a 10 inch sub probably kicker as well maybe that's the just me bein a youngin idk jw what others have done

hey man. I have a full system in my path. I have a 93 with the roof mounted speakers, I run MTX thunder 5x7 2-ways in the rear and pioneer 6 1/2 round 2-ways in the front doors. i cut out some door sheet metal and made custom mounts to hold the front speakers and also adapter/spacers to fit the 5x7s in rear since even though they are the same diameter and area as stock speaker size the coils and magnets are MUCH bigger than stock but it turned out quite well i think.

I have a sony xplod deck 52w peak x4 channels and a kenwood 600w peak amp and a sony xplod 600w 12" sub in a custom box. It sounds fantastic, not too much bass to drown out the music but just enough to punch hard as the mids and highs are just as loud. I don't listen to rap or anything so if you want a system for that then you will want more sub and probably 3-way speakers with some fancy crossovers but for metal/rock/electronic music my setup absolutely pounds.

here's the sub/amp before I installed a tire carrier on my truck, I am working on a new box now that integrates it above the rear wheel well to save space since the spare tire is now on the back of the truck and I have opened up a bunch of space.

IMAG0411_zps6b4a0ae7.jpg

had to trim just a bit of carpet/headliner to fit the speakers in properly.

IMAG0407_zps6f26e7aa.jpg

the mounts I made to hold and space the rear speakers

IMAG0406_zps709534cb.jpg

after I covered them

IMAG0408_zps1bb63159.jpg

mind the stains on the headliner, wheeling with beer or coffees always seems to end up there, lol.

IMAG0410_zpsc8cc3263.jpg

I dont have any pictures of the front speakers but they fit with some sheet metal trimming like mentioned and a a similar spacer (with tapered rear corners to be in-set a bit and still fit under the factory speaker cover with some light plastic trimming from the rear side. looks just like stock.

Hope the pics help, just happened to have them on my hd

Edited by Nefarious

Not much in my 94, good system is in my 90 sentra.

I have a 94 era Alpine CD player a friend gave me when I installed a new one in his truck, a Alpine ERE-G180 EQ another friend gave to me, Alpine 4 ch amp ( may be one I bought new or one the friend who gave me the Eq also gave me LOL), amp is running in 3 channel mode, 50 x 2 watts to front speakers, 150 x 1 watts to 12" Pyle Pro sub I have in a sealed box. Front speakers are 6.5" Alpine coaxials.

ampdso.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

There was already an aftermarket deck when I bought my pathfinder. My treble was fine stock, but the bass was starting to buzz from the stock 16yr old paper cones in the speakers, so I just upgraded the bass by putting a sub in the rear. 15" Memphis sub on clearance from a local auto store, ported box off ebay, and an alpine amp off craigslist. $110 for the whole setup, and now it sounds the way I like it, and I can make my neighborhood hear it the way I like it too if I crank it. :laugh:

Edited by Iceman2989

hey man. I have a full system in my path. I have a 93 with the roof mounted speakers, I run MTX thunder 5x7 2-ways in the rear and pioneer 6 1/2 round 2-ways in the front doors. i cut out some door sheet metal and made custom mounts to hold the front speakers and also adapter/spacers to fit the 5x7s in rear since even though they are the same diameter and area as stock speaker size the coils and magnets are MUCH bigger than stock but it turned out quite well i think.

I have a sony xplod deck 52w peak x4 channels and a kenwood 600w peak amp and a sony xplod 600w 12" sub in a custom box. It sounds fantastic, not too much bass to drown out the music but just enough to punch hard as the mids and highs are just as loud. I don't listen to rap or anything so if you want a system for that then you will want more sub and probably 3-way speakers with some fancy crossovers but for metal/rock/electronic music my setup absolutely pounds.

here's the sub/amp before I installed a tire carrier on my truck, I am working on a new box now that integrates it above the rear wheel well to save space since the spare tire is now on the back of the truck and I have opened up a bunch of space.

IMAG0411_zps6b4a0ae7.jpg

had to trim just a bit of carpet/headliner to fit the speakers in properly.

IMAG0407_zps6f26e7aa.jpg

the mounts I made to hold and space the rear speakers

IMAG0406_zps709534cb.jpg

after I covered them

IMAG0408_zps1bb63159.jpg

mind the stains on the headliner, wheeling with beer or coffees always seems to end up there, lol.

IMAG0410_zpsc8cc3263.jpg

I dont have any pictures of the front speakers but they fit with some sheet metal trimming like mentioned and a a similar spacer (with tapered rear corners to be in-set a bit and still fit under the factory speaker cover with some light plastic trimming from the rear side. looks just like stock.

Hope the pics help, just happened to have them on my hd

i like it man i may look at doing sonething similar in my 92

• 5 months later...

i got a Panasonic head unit not sure which one as it came with the pathfinder and the front Alpine type s 6.5" speakers in the front also came with but had stock rears (weird right?) so i put in 6.5" kicker cs speakers in the rear and i put in a sony 250 watt 2ch amp (soon to be upgraded to a Crunch 1000 Watt mono amp)

with a 12" hifonics brutus sub woofer in a custom made mdf box

iv herd bad things about the crunch amps but i have 2000 watt 2ch in my 87 IROC-Z with 2 12" kickers and never had any problems and my buddy has the 2000 watt 2ch also powering 2 15" mtx subs in his Cherokee and no problems

if you are looking to do anything over 600watts put a capacitor in you can get a 2 fared cap from walmart for under 50 and it will save you from battery and alt issues ( have one from walmart in my car after i went threw 2 batts and 1 alt in a summer)

Edited by thorpe991

Kenwood Excelon deck, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" component speakers (one step below the Milles) up front, old school Kenwood 6x9s in the rear all powered by a Crutch field (Precision Power) 75w4 class A amp, round 80-85W true RMS. Sub is an Obsidian Audio 12" in a 1.1cu/ft sealed enclosure with a Rockford Fosgate 548W true RMS amp that I've blown up twice since its a piece of Chinese crap. Upgrading to an old school Precion Power Art Series A1200.2 Class A amp soon, will be around 1300W true RMS at 2ohm. Then an Art Series class A A600 later on to power the front Hertz at around 150W RMS... if I can find one. Don't think I need to add a graphic equalizer since I already have 4V pre-outs and decent adjustment capability but we'll see.

Would love to find another Alpine CDA-7878 deck! That deck is baller and sounds amazing.

Edited by Kingman

Lets see. Pioneer DEH-P8400BH, running to a cheap 400w rms Sound Storm SSL F4.400 4 channel amp for the door speakers. and an old school JB BP1200.1 mono block 600w rms x1 at 4ohms. 1200w rms at 2ohms pushing a pioneer TS-w130 12" dual 4ohm voice coil subwoofer in a vented box. We'll see how long the sub lasts. its rms is at 400.

I can crank it up and make it the stereo at a party. and scare people in parking lots as they walk by and i crank it.

The look on that lady's face.... :rofl:

Edited by Kyle94

Would love to find another Alpine CDA-7878 deck! That deck is baller and sounds amazing.

I had one... and hated it. I mean, it sounded great, and had lots of power, when it worked. But after a while, the motor face plate, knob, and cd mech fall apart. And finding a dck that old in good shape... ehhh.

Some old Kenwood 50Wattx4 with what ever speakers are under the covers. Loud enough to hear, but not promote hearing damage and no one is going to try to steal that sheit. The only way to roll, baby... ;)

B

CD player... I think sony :shrug: there's a thing on it I can plug my phone into and play the radio on...

Speakers... I don't remember but know I changed them out and added the roof bar in the back.

I can hear it over the exhaust, if I want to scare people I can make him backfire or just wait and catch me singing along

I had one... and hated it. I mean, it sounded great, and had lots of power, when it worked. But after a while, the motor face plate, knob, and cd mech fall apart. And finding a dck that old in good shape... ehhh.

Fluke and/or beaten on plus you didn't know how to use it to its potential. Its one of the most comprehensive and most tunable to any frequency/octave/HZ/delay/ anything deck ever built. Mine was rock solid but I let it go with my Z. Nowadays guys are paying out the ass for good used ones, same with old PPI amps. Makes my task of acquiring that much more difficult, not to mention not many people bought them as they were nearly a grand new.

Dumb Question...You guys running aftermarket amps, did you do a bypass of the amp, like the write ups Ive read on here...or did you run completely new wiring to the speakers. I have a 93 and my front factory amp is about to die, which is fine because I want to upgrade to a nice setup, but was wondering what the best way to get around the factory amps.

I ran all new wire and tucked it in... the stock wiring isn't that great if you want to upgrade. and using the factory amps with an aftermarket system yields crappy results in IMO...

I'm running a Sony Xplod, amp bypass, stock rear speakers and tweeters, new "Boss" (they were cheap at Ratshack) speakers in the doors. It works well enough. My only real complaint with the Xplod is the beeping when I turn the truck off. Apparently it's a 'feature' to remind you to take the faceplate with you, because... I don't know why. Maybe it's because they want to sell you an amp.

Anyone found a place to mount a sub without having a box rattling around somewhere? More bass would be nice but I have enough junk in the back as it is. I was thinking that a larger center console might be a good place to hide one... not that it's on my list of priorities.