Sump Gasket change (without removing engine) Z24i

Sim

Ok folks, so I wanted to know if anyone here has changed their sump gasket without pulling the entire engine out.. I've got to change mine as it's leaking a reasonable amount (enought to have stained a mates concrete driveway now), and I want to know if it's a difficult job or if you 'can' remove the sump pan off the motor without having to lift the motor up from the engine mounts.

So, any info about this would be great if you have done it, or had it done and watched.

Cheers,
Sim

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mate,

The only thing it says is that you've got to remove the front diff and lift the engine/gearbox up to take the sump pan off.. which is a little bit more than I have the equipment to do at home - was kind of hoping someone might just say that it's easy to do without taking out the differential etc (perhaps by just jacking up the engine from off of the mounts, or something).

This is about all the Haynes manual states (oddly Gregory's doesn't produce one for the Pathfinder that I could find but Haynes, an English company, does - and I got it from Victoria, odd..) Anyway, would love to get the FSM but this was the best I could find.

Anyway.. looking complicated.

Sim

Edited by Sim
  • Like 1

The FSM also says that you must remove the front diff you pull a VG30, but I did an engine swap on my '88 without so much as touching a single diff mounting bolt.

I say give it a shot, you'll know early on if you can. But don't be surprised if you end up doing more or find that it would have been easier doing it by the book.

• 3 weeks later...

Just realised that I hadn't replied to this, sorry..

Yeah, was kind of hoping that there would be a way to do it without having to unbolt half the front end - which removing the diff constitutes basically..

I think I'll run some silicon around the outside of the sump pan after giving it a bloody good clean, then it'll be ok for a while longer...