Tranny or Transfer case popping in reverse! Please help!

Yes I checked all the drive lines and it's the Trans. Now I get a wining sound on first and second gear. Just picked up a trans and transfer case for $550 from a salvaged yard. I'm paying the extra $150 for the core charge so I can keep my old set up. It's so hard to find these and when you do it runs $650-$750 just for the trans. a rebuilt kit is only $100. so I'll keep it as a spare. Going to install this weekend.

Just a tip.. as happened to me the 'race bearings' inside the gearbox went.. I'm not sure of the exact name of the bearings but everyone referred to them as the race bearings (someone mistook what I was saying and thought I was talking about racing a Pathfinder!) anyway, when the bearings went I started to get a loud whine which got progressively worse over two to three weeks.. the mechanic said it was an imminent 'bang' was what he was expecting, which was when the bearing exploded, the gearbox seized and the teeth got chewed off the gear you were using.

Anyway, long and short of it was that buying a second hand gearbox and having it rebuilt, or taking my box out and having it rebuilt was a stupidly expensive task because YES, just buying the bearing kit and gaskets was about $100 here as well, but if one thing is worn it's almost a dead certainty that other things are worn, my mechanic quoted me $1,000 to rebuilt my gearbox as a starting price!

I went and bought a full reconditioned box with a warranty on it for that!

Good luck, but be very wary of buying a second hand box and going to rebuild your old one.. if you buy a second hand box try to drive the vehicle it's fitted too first before it's removed - so you know every gear works fine. You don't need to buy a transfer case, they are a bolt on/off box which gets next to no wear considering you are in 2WD most of the time, so it won't need replacing/ repairing in all likelihood.

If you do buy a second hand box and it's ok then rebuilt THAT gearbox before you fit it.. and then buy another kit and rebuild your old box and put it in the shed as a spare.

Good luck,

Sim