88 Pathy 3 link front. 63" chevy rear

It this correct?

The 1st section is the TX10 reduction casing and 1/2 of the casing for the front out put shaft.

The 2nd section is a combination of a custom adapter plate which the tail housing from a Nissan automatic trans is mounted.

Then the TX10 transfer case is mounted to the automatic trans tail housing. The main shaft from the reduction section (which is the TX10 main shaft) is shorten 1 5/8" and this slips into the female input shaft of the TX10 transfer case.

Pretty innovative. How long is this from the end of the transmission to the end of the output shaft in the TX10?

What would really be great is a shorten shaft for the reduction section, and the custom mounting plate could be drilled o accept the front of the TX10 directly.

How strong are the TX10's. I retained my TX10 after swapping in the LT1 and haven't really tested it to see how well it will hold up to the hp and torque from the LT1.

I'm considering a flipped Dana 300, but this has caught my interest. The Dana is 2.62:1 which is better than the 2:1 of the TX, but being able to double this certainly is appealing.

That is correct. I believe it is about 35" long. I will double check that. I thought about getting the factory output shaft cut down and resplined and making a full adapter plate, but i wanted to keep the cost down so i went this way. It is long but should work very well. As far as the strength, i believe they are plenty stout enough. A lot of people dont like it being a chain driven case but the chain in these things are massive. Given over a long period of time and alot of use, they will stretch. If you have the funds for the adapter kit, going with an atlas or even the flipped 300 would be the better bet, mainly due to packaging and it being a bolt on.

Edited by BIGFINDERMAN

Got the monster mounted up. I'm working on a crossmember for the rear. I really wanted a support at the very back, so i took a tranny mount from an xterra and buzzed out a clamp style mount for it to grab the tail housing. Still finishing that up. Also have to finish the front crossmeber and extend the second shifter rod. I meant to mention earlier that i had to rotate the rear housing 10* so the bolt patterns wouldn't interfere with eath other. Got the rear dshaft built and installed also. Pics.

tcase60.jpg

tcase64.jpg

tcase59.jpg

tcase68.jpg

tcase67.jpg

Got the rear crossmember mounted up, 2nd shifter rod extended, and everything filled up with fluid. Drove it around for a while Saturday. Feels great. No vibes and the dual's work awsome! I still have to fab up a new console, paint the crossmembers, and build a front driveshaft. Few pics.

tcase69.jpg.

tcase70.jpg

tcase71.jpg

tcase72.jpg

Nice man! You ever think of releasing your adapter plate for the public? Seriously would love a similar setup. This is dual tx10s, correct?

Adapter plate with a shorten shaft to mate the reduction part to the T-case would b the way to go. If you want to go big or go home, have multiple choice of splined output shafts to mate other common T-cases.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if i'm ready for the big leagues as far as supplying adapters. I think my machinist buddy and i are going to try and design a direct adapter plate with shortened shaft when he gets some free time. The setup i have seems to be doing the job. I have put several street miles on it and its holding up fine. Hopefully soon i can get it on the trails. I developed a very small leak between the adapter plate and auto tail housing. As i mentioned earlier i had to rotate the rear housing about 10* so the bolt patterns would't interfere. The seal surface on the auto tail housing is pretty small and barely came in contact with one of the recessed bolt holes, causing the leak. I just resealled it a little better and it seems to be holding. Haven't had much time to work on the pathy lately with the holidays and i have been helping my father in law with his electrical business in my spare time. I scored a new Yukon Grizzly locker on Amazon for $386. Gonna put that in the rear and throw a spartan in the front. I bought a front driveshaft from a TJ that should be in this week. It is almost a perfect fit for the front. Might have to shorten it an inch or 2.

locker.jpg

locker2.jpg

locker1.jpg

locker3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks man! Took the pathy out on another shakedown run this weekend. The dual's were awsome. Still need some limit straps and figure out some way to make some bump stops. I lost my power steering about 1/2 way up the mountain. The high pressure line developed a small crack in it. All in all it did great. Front/ rear bumpers, sliders, and skids are next. Here is a vid of some action. Of course the hill is quite a bit steeper than the video portrays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjopOiJp55k

Edited by BIGFINDERMAN
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome rig and great build man. I recently got my brothers old pathfinder its a 94 and i plan on doing a sas soon. Got to replace my engine an trans first my sister in law ttashed it lol. Where you from if you dont mind me asking?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks man! Took the pathy out on another shakedown run this weekend. The dual's were awsome. Still need some limit straps and figure out some way to make some bump stops. I lost my power steering about 1/2 way up the mountain. The high pressure line developed a small crack in it. All in all it did great. Front/ rear bumpers, sliders, and skids are next. Here is a vid of some action. Of course the hill is quite a bit steeper than the video portrays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjopOiJp55k

Always great to see out of the box innovation, which is a big part of this hobby. My plans in the future now that the LT1 up and running, is major upgrades to the drive train.

I've had it out few a few times on the highway, and with 4.88 gears, the RPM's are up in the high 2k's to low 3k range, so I'm thinking of a "built" T56 6 speed manual (has double overdrive, 6th gear at .50 ratio) , custom doubler unit using NP241 gears, mated to a Ford DSD NP205.

Am in the process of collecting the parts...

• 1 year later...

Is the front skid plate one piece with the bumper? Any info on metal used, pics showing fab and mounting? I am really interested in how you fabbed the mounts.

Thanks. No the skid is separate from the bumper. The main winch mount is 1/4" and the rest is 3/16. I will get some better pics of the mounts. It was a pain in the a** to design the mounts. The factory bumper mounts would never hold this weight up. Plus with me having a body lift on it, I already had those crappy spacers on the factory bumper brackets that made it even more flimsy.

• 3 months later...

Do you know where you were getting vibes on your first setup. Was it the angles from side to side, or too short rear shaft that was causing the problems?

I am on my way to a second divorced TC behind the TX10. Problem is a have to go this route because of the diffs I am using and need to have the right drop.