88 Pathy 3 link front. 63" chevy rear

• 3 weeks later...

Havn't had much time to work on the pathy lately, but i did drive it to work last Friday, which is about 50 miles one way. It did pretty good. On perfect flat roads, it drives great. But on the not so good roads, it was pretty jerky. It was controllable, but not comfortable. While i was at work, i took advantage of the fork lift to see if my driveshaft was going to bind. I took my front driveshaft back apart the other day and ground down the contact points to gain a little more flex. I was sure it was going to bind at some point, but it didn't. I flexed it completely out and it still spun freely. Last night i got out in the shop and adjusted my castor from 3* out to about 8* and took if for a test spin. Night and day difference. It drives great now. Amazing how that little tweek straightened it out.

workflex.jpg

workflex1.jpg

• Like 1

Back when I did my sas on the ol frontier, I had the same issue. I had to keep adjusting my shackle mount location somewhere between \ and | to get my castor right. I'm on leaves now but if it wasn't setup right I'd 3 link it. Probably will sooner or later anyway

One of these days we have to go ride some place. If I quit screwing around I'll have my rear 4 link done and I'll be using the pathy like a station wagon to go to mentone in May.

Yea I'm glad I made everything adjustable. I think it will drive even better when I get some new tires on it. Definitely man. I can't wait till I can hit the trails in it. What's going on in Mentone?

How are you measuring your caster, I didnt cut my C's but am curious because the Driver side leaf spring mount isnt a straight 90 degree on mine and the only Issue I have is a little pull from body roll, and running full heim steering. plus my steering box is kind of worn. I wanna make sure mine is good, a pic with a angle finder would be good, maybe we could help each other here.

Edited by Mauitrailguy

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some free time to work on the pathy. I decided to set up the gears in the front end myself. This is pretty much the only thing i have never done on an automobile. I figured you will never learn if you dont do it so here we go. I have a good buddy at work that let me borrow all the necessary tools to get the job done as he has done several in the past.

rp2.jpg

rp3.jpg

rp6.jpg

rp5.jpg

Had a big weekend! Finally got the gears buttoned up. Man that was a job. Not really that hard, just time consuming. I bet i pulled it apart 20 times. But i am glad i did it myself. I had a bunch of pictures but my SD card in my phone decided to take a dump. So i have my brother in law recovering the data for me. Ended up with a solid pattern centered on both the drive and coast sides and .008 backlash. Those warn premiums are a pita to engage! I thought i installed them wrong but after a little research, i found that that is how the premiums operate. I drove it down to a little creek bed and played around a little bit. It was a great feeling finally having 4wd! It hasn't been 4wd since before i first sas'd it about 8 years ago. I will post pics hopefully when i recover them.

Edited by BIGFINDERMAN

Well i was unable to recover any of my data on the SD card. Thankfully i saved the majority of the build pics on my computer and posted in the forums. I sent a few pics of my pattern to a buddy of mine so i have those to share. And one of the hubs.

hubs.jpg

pattern1.jpeg

pattern2.jpeg

Very nice work my friend. This is a very similar route to what I plan to do with my build after school is finished up in a month. Keep it up man. I remember seeing pics 5 or 6 years ago on Google images of your truck when it was on 44s. Has come a long way since then!

• Like 1

Thanks buddy! Yea it has came a long way in the last 7 or 8 years. In my younger days i just wanted it to be the biggest thing on the streets in my small town. Finally getting it like it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the pathy on a last minute shakedown run over the weekend. Went to one of the local spots. This particular trail going up the mountain is pretty nasty. I didnt get a lot of action shots. I was more worried about paying attention to what i was doing then taking pictures lol. It was just me and my buddy in the pathy so i didnt get into anything real bad. Didnt want to break down up there by ourself. It surprised me how good it did being open front and back with all terrains on it. I quickly realized that i need the following: bump stops, limit straps, and a doubler. I was headed back home and the dang fuel pump went out. Cant say much tho with it being the factory unit. Had a great time!!

shakedown1.jpg

shakedown3.jpg

shakedown2.jpg

shakedown4.jpg

Congrats on getting out and doing some riding!

Were you riding with the sway bar disconnected? It looks like the front wants to use up its flex before the rear.

Mine was sort of like that in reverse. The leaves were stiff until the 4 link rear was almos flexed out. Added a rear sway bar that stays hooked up and now they flex at about the same rate.

When I had 63s under my frontier, they were weird. They started super tall and settled a bunch with driving. They flexed great though.

I believe I had the 2 leaf pack from a half ton truck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...