Manual Transmission Sealing

andreus009

According to the tech repair manual the manual transmission is supposed to be sealed between the bell housing and the engine. Anyone know why this is done considering there is a drain hole in the bottom of the bell housing that will let water in anyway if submerged?

Thanks

The transmission it's self is sealed up front with the input shaft front cover. The rear of the engine is sealed with the rear main seal. Between the two are two plates, with rubber seals, intended to keep water/mud ouf of the clutch and oil from the clutch. That drain hole is there so that when the rear main seal starts leaking, the oil drains out instead of filling up the bell housing.

I had assumed it was to keep the dust, dirt particulate matter out of the bell housing, but upon reflection, I realize that it is so the bell housing won't fill up when submerged as well, or at least not quickly. Think about it, if that is the only hole (at the bottom) and everything else is sealed, it can't really fill up due to the air not having anyplace to go.

When I replaced my clutch, I didn't even think about it, I just sealed it per instructions.

B

Well, I guess I'll seal it as instructed. I wouldn't mind so much but there is that intermediate plate that makes it more challenging cause you have seal as well. Was just hoping to justify avoiding the work.