Front End or Tires ?

brc19761

I have a 1994 Pathfinder LE. When I bought the Pathfinder it had brand new (factory type) tires on the back and fairley new all terrian tires on the front. As soon as I got it home I put the all terrain tires on the back and the new tires on the front. Ever since the swap the new tires (or I believe it maybe the tires) between 55mph and 70-75mp shake like crazy. The entire steering column shakes at these speeds. But up to 50mph it drives fine. There is no pulling to the left or right just the shimming and shaking. Well after yesterday driving a good distance on the interstate I am determined to find out what is wrong. I have jacked the Pathfinder up in the past and tried to find anything that loose, but couldn't find anything.

The Pathfinder only has 79,000 miles on it. But I know things such as bushings and anything rubber under the front end could be damaged due to age. The first thing I was going to do was get the front tires re-balanced. But I thought I would run this problem by the good people of this forum who have in the past saved me a lot of time and money on this Pathfinder. So, any ideas as to why it shimmies and shakes the steering wheel b/t 55-75mph would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've been working on the same problem. I recently went from 235's to 31's. I haven't gotten the problem totally fixed but now the issue is down to a minor vibration rather than shake the fillings out of your teeth.

Balanced tires

Replaced compression rod bushings

repacked and reinstalled wheel-bearings after inspecting for pitting.

I plan on replacing the rest of the bushings up front as well as the ball joints and tie rod ends.

If you haven't replaced any of that stuff you might consider it just due to the age if not the mileage.

I have same problem in winter, after crossing rivers, ice on rims causing that. I know - it sounds stupid :), but just in case ...

I have same problem in winter, after crossing rivers, ice on rims causing that. I know - it sounds stupid :), but just in case ...

Not so stupid. Many forget that snow, ice, sand, or mud can cause all sorts of weird shakes.

My Jeep's 8 inch wide wheels all are positive offset (lots of room for crap to stick!) and wreak havoc when they get full of dirt.

Well I trully thank everyone who responded to the post (SERIOUSLY). Now I have a starting point and if one suggestion doesn't work I will move on to the next. When I get it fixed I will let you know what it was.

Thanks

My money is on a bent rim, but a balance job would be a good start. I had a similar issue with a bent rim on my Pathfinder when I switched over to rims I got from a totaled 02 Xterra. If it was balanced and on the rear the vibration was hardly noticeable but it was awful when the rim was on the front, balanced or not. Ended up replacing the rim in the end.