Front body lift?

brandon99

So I bought my pathfinder with I think a two inch suspension lift in the rear and 31" tires. I want the gap between the body and tires equal so can i use a. front body lift to get the front sitting right?

you mean a front suspension lift, a body lift raises the whole body from the frame. And you may want to look into adjusting/re-indexing your torsion bars in the front first. They may juts be sagged giving the impression of lift in the rear without the front (as 31's was a factory optioned size and were talking about a 20+ year old vechile, it's quite the possibility)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/17038-how-to-re-index-your-torsion-bars/

Edited by nunya
spellign typos

you get the alignment after re-indexing, that will get your front end back to true (as long as front steering/suspension components are in good shape of course). Depending on the ammout of sag and crank currently on them you could get 2" of lift from them (people get up to 3", the common 3" front suspension lift is primarly upper control arms that help with ball joint angles and cranked torsion bars). And yes, it is quite possible that your's did not have 31"s from the factory but as they are a factory option it doesn't take a whole lot to get them to fit on non-equipped trucks :aok:

31's fit quiet easily.

I had 31's stock, but someone else in the family put 235/75/r15s on it for about 10-12 years.

When I went back to 31's, I had to trim the fender flares just a 1/4 of an inch or less to clear it.

thanks for the info... I'm pretty much trying to level my truck front to rear. The rear has a 2 inch suspension lift but the front is stock. My truck is 22 years old and has like 6 inches of play in the steering wheel, lol anyway what should I expect after I crank the torsion bars as far as ride, ware exe, like I said my trucks old and I don't want to cause things to break or ware to much faster. thanks again...

Yeah, I guess the only way to fix that is replacing all the steering bits and what not. Id rather spend my money on a lock right and deal with the steering slop. Lol

Slop can be worn linkage, or a bad steering box.

As for cranking the bars, it might make the front feel a little more springy, and without an alignment afterward, the steering will be all screwy (besides the tire wear issue).

Yeah, I guess the only way to fix that is replacing all the steering bits and what not. Id rather spend my money on a lock right and deal with the steering slop. Lol

That is a pretty bad attitude to have. What happens when one of your worn tie rods lets go on the highway and you kill someone.

• Like 1

Bad attitude? I have an old ass truck and supporting my family week to week... I only drive it in the woods... What are you talking about? Dont open your f-ing trap about my @!*% till you know about my @!*%. Thanks buddy...

All im going to say to that is this: I am a relatively new Pathfinder owner I am very excited about the close knit community of similar minded people all about there pathys. I reacted to your comment emotionally, my bad should have waited till i got home and slept after a long ass night of bs equipment failures at work... Now please see it from my view, you told me i was going to kill somebody on the highway with my truck that i tow to the woods, and that my attitude was "bad"... how would you react? My bad lets get along like pathy owners should.

Looks all good from here. You over reacted a bit, then apologized and we all move on. ;)

For the most part, people posting are ultimately trying to help but being that we hail from all over the globe and from different cultures (or lack of :D ), there's bound to be occasional misunderstandings.

We generally don't have internet warriors around here, or at least not for very long so defensiveness is usually unnecessary.

Have you jacked up the front end and examined the steering linkage/suspension bushings yet? Some times the problem is isolated to a few components and it isn't terribly hard/expensive to fix.

I would set the ride height where it is appropriate/level with the T-bars, jack up the front end and try to isolate a cause/starting place to address the slop and when that has been repaired, then have it aligned.

B

• Like 3

Junk yard? Can i get something rebuilt? Any other options like can i rebuild it? Also i get the point... lol, I need to do my timing belt... :) so how fun is this going to be for me? And while im at it cam seals right? What else should i have on my list as a new owner of an old truck?

Probably the easiest/cheapest is to source one from a junkyard. Good used ones can be found, but there is obviously some pre-screening required. Do not buy one that doesn't have some sort of warranty/return policy, but it does sound like almost any replacement would be better than the one you have. You can make slight adjustments to tighten them up but it is a little touchy and time consuming; we'll go into that later (or read the FSM).

You might want to look into the classifieds here for a truck part-out or post a thread in the parts wanted section. I had my first pathy removed on a flat bed minus the steering box so that isn't an issue.

B

Junk yard? Can i get something rebuilt? Any other options like can i rebuild it? Also i get the point... lol, I need to do my timing belt... :) so how fun is this going to be for me? And while im at it cam seals right? What else should i have on my list as a new owner of an old truck?

Yes, some companies do rebuild them but I have no direct sources to share. I doubt it is something you want to do unless you have good mechanical experience, place to work and some time.

As for the timing belt, there is a write-up in the Garage/How To section about the timing belt that covers it all. Yes, replacing some seals is recommended, up to thermostat, bypass hose, water pump, etc. Everyone has a different take on it, but I changed everything so I do not expect to touch anything for another 100k miles. Your recommended timing belt interval is every

60k miles BTW.

As for what else, get it steering straight, braking well, the timing belt changed and I recommend changing all fluids to set a maintenance schedule.

B

Ok so the KID (i know, like 19) told me the motor only has 100,000 while the truck has 277'XXX. Do you know where the numbers on the engine are? Its dark right now and with my headlight i couldn't find them. ..

Oh and the rubber hose coming from the hard line to my driver side front brake has a big hole... do i only have rears right now? Is it connected to the pass side? With a safety valve keeping my rears isolated like i believe my 91 Dakota did...? Let me know when your burnt on my questions. .. IM A SPONGE RIGHT NOW. LOL

So when i was looking to buy a truck, i was dead set on an xj...but then the $500 pathy happened, thank GOD im in love with my truck. My boss loves me and has mig,tig in the shop, so im thinking all crazy like building an exo cage, and whatever else yall can help my come up with lol