Half Shaft Slop?

HitMan

I noticed something new today that has brought some concern to my attention.... It started with vibration and shake in the wheel going 55mph while cruising/braking/accelerating/etc. it always shakes. It is speed dependent, so my first thoughts like usual are wheel out of balance or somehow lost alignment. So, I looked under the truck and grabbed the half shaft and noticed that I could move it maybe an inch back and forth in and out of the hub on both sides. I don't remember this being like this in the past? I have warn hubs installed, so naturally I put them back in 4x4 to lock them back and see if this could change anything. I drove it again that night after moving the half shafts and locking the hubs and did not notice anything again. I drove it again today and it seemed to come back, but once I made a few sharp turns it went back to normal, which leads me to think something is wrong with the half shafts. I do have the OME lift installed as well. Any ideas? I looked at my 04 which is still all stock and I was not able to move the half shafts at all in or out. Do I need to tear into my hubs again to see what might be going on? Maybe it is not locking at all anymore. Help Please!

So, you were right, I opened them up and sure enough I forgot to install the clip on both sides! Yikes! All set now and everything is tightened back down so I'll take it for a spin and see if it miss behaves again. Thanks for the reply.

I know that on my WD21 there is a c-clip that keeps the half shaft for doing what you are describing. Was there a clip on yours when you installed the warns??? Just a thought.

James

So, you were right, I opened them up and sure enough I forgot to install the clip on both sides! Yikes! All set now and everything is tightened back down so I'll take it for a spin and see if it miss behaves again. Thanks for the reply.

No problem and I'm glad I could help you out.

James

I was thinking the exact same thing as I just installed my Warn's today. Nice diagnosis Hytekrednek.